has anyone heard of FPS

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FLhomesteader, May 5, 2005.

1. FLhomesteader

FLhomesteader Who's got my BANANAS?

I was doing a homesteading search on yahoo and this Free Sate project came up. its where 20,000 people move to new hampshire.
    I was wondering if anyone has heard of it and how does it relate to homesteading
    just wondering

edited to add
    I almost forgot
    I never introduced myself I live in florida we ( my husband and me)have 1 1/2 acre and we have 1 son he is 3 years old. I have been wanting to really homesyead for about 5 years or so and we are looking to sell our property an a few years and get more land
    Nice to meet all of you looking foward to getting to know you

2. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

in poker it is Fancy Play Syndrome.

3. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Personally, unless one of you is from New England originally, I wouldn't move from Florida to New Hampshire to homestead. The climate shock will kill you off!

4. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

As a New Englander, i definitely agree with Moriisoncorner!

5. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

It isn't so bad up north once you get used to the cold, the ice, the snow, the cold, did I say the cold already?

6. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

As someone who was raised in New England and returned home to Arkansas, I'll agree with the above!

I looked at the Free State Project (FSP) when it first came out. While the basic idea "sounds good on paper", it's primarily a political idea ... nothing really related to homesteading.

7. FLhomesteader

FLhomesteader Who's got my BANANAS?

I had never heard of such a thing thats why I was asking. and I my self could not see the realtionship between it and homesteading.
    and no I have no urge to move from Florida I would freeze

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

My husband moved from southern California (born and raised) to Vermont, arriving a couple of days before Christmas with all the warm clothing he owned: two sweatshirts and a windbreaker.

Do you have any idea what it costs to completely equip someone from the ground up with winter clothing?!? If I'd known I might have reconsidered marrying the man!

Recently a couple moved here from the far east with a 6 year old daughter. They almost had a coronary when they started buying their daughter winter clothing... and quickly learned to shop the used clothing stores.

I think we own more coats than we do things like shirts!

9. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

I live in NH and as someone else posted it is more of a political thing than a homesteading thing. Plus not to sound mean or rude, but as a life long resident, we dont need anymore people here!!! This state is getting crowded, and expensive to live in. Mainly due to all the MA people moving up here to "flee" the city. They come in to our small towns and want to change everything. "First, lets clear all the trees, then subdivide our land and put up 10 more houses, then let's tell all our freinds to move here, next we will complain about the smell of the farms, then we dont want to hear any gun fire during hunting season because it makes us scared......" it goes on and on.

Sorry, I am a little bitter, :rolleyes: this is exactly what is happening in my own home town. It is disgusting!

FYI the FSP was started by some people who left a city in CT and moved to Goffstown, NH a nice village type town....you should see it now. :no:

Mandy

edited to say sorry to FL homesteader as that was not directed to you or anyone here for that matter...just venting :D

10. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I saw 29 below in Mass. backin 87-88, never again....

11. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I looked into them several years ago. Looks like they dropped one of their By laws. The guy that started the movement put a drop dead date on it. If he didn't have his 20,000 by that date he was going to call it off. I remember he only had a year left at the time.

I chatted with several folks who were very involved with the project. The big problem I see is they don't have a vision of what they want. All they know is that they don't want what exists today.

I got a lot of different responces to some very basic questions. Pretty much scared me off of them.

Shane

12. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Start homesteading where you are. Get the book "The Have More Plan" by the Robinsons and you will see what I mean.
    Then when you sre ready ti get more land you will have a lot of exoerience.
    Good luck and welcome. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...8/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-1740339-4519851

13. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

FPS? Isn't that a deoderant spray for chicks with rancid nether regions?

14. Scott Roth

Scott Roth Member

Hi FLhomesteader!

I am an active friend of the FSP, and am involved in alot of their meetings and activities. It is a great project that is doing well in NH. One of the best places to get more info on it, from those that have already moved here is: www.nhfree.com. It is an online forum, setup and moderated by Kat Dillon, who moved from Texas as part of the Free State Project. nhfree.com is the fastest growing forum on the net and can really keep you updated as to what is happening here. We'd love to have you move here. At least visit us. You'll see why the FSP chose NH as their state to move to. Clean air, small government, lower overall taxes. A great place to use as a model state for the rest of the country to look at.

15. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Until the rest of the country mives there ans SCREWS IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like what happened to Montana

mikell

16. southernbelle32

southernbelle32 Well-Known Member

Hi Flhomesteader!! I live in Florida also great to see other Floridaians!!