Has anyone heard of a Forster wood stove?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Matt Black, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Out back

A guy not too far from me has one for sale for $350.00. He bought it from the original owner who had never used it. I do not know it's age. The present owner has used it a few times but says it is way too big for the enclosed porch where he had installed it. Acccording to the owner, it's a good quality stove, heavy, lined with firebrick, double glass doors in the front with a screen for burning with the doors open, and a thermostatically controlled blower with a manual damper overide. It sounds like a decent deal but I cannot find a single mention of a "Forster" wood stove anywhere on the net. That makes me kind of nervous as I don't want to drop tree fiddy on a stove I can't find parts for, or worse yet a potentially unsafe fire hazard produced by some fly by night manufacturer. "Forster" could be the model instead of the maker or it could be "Forester" but I did have him spell it so I don't think so. I'm supposed to go look at it tomorrow night so I might have more info then.

So, can anyone help me find anything out about this stove?

Thank you very much,
    MB

2. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

I have seen it in connection to this company before

US Stove CO
    I could not find that brand on thier current website though
    here is thier phone number 800.750.2723

3. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I agree with Caroline. US Stoves carried a "Forester" model awhile back that sound like what you are describing. But I am not sure it had a blower.

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Out back

Thank you! I did get one hit on A "Forester" stove made by U.S. Stove co., So maybe that's it. I'll call U.S. Stove and see if it sounds like a match. I'll be able to tell for sure after I look at it tonight.

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Out back

Well, it turned out to be a "Forester" alright. Looks like a wellbuilt stove and was in good shape. It still has the tags showing install intructions and clearances which is what I was worried about. I decided to get it. I'm going to contact US Stove and see if I can get a manual for it.

Thanks for your help!