Has anyone grown tobacco?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by melwynnd, Apr 11, 2005.

1. melwynnd

melwynnd living More with Less!

Hi everyone,

I have just started some tobacco. I have tiny sprouts now and am not sure if there are any tricks with growing and processing the stuff. Any info would be appreciated :)

Sherry

2. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Oooo...Make the flashbacks stop! Most of my family raised tobacco when I was younger....that means I worked the fields every time anyone needed help. What kind of tobbaco is it/ what do you want to use it for?

Regardless of the answer to the above questions, Plant about 18" - 24" apart. Give plenty of nitrogen. Most importantly, when the flower stalk forms on the top break it off. This will force the plant to put all its energy toward the leaves.

How you harvest/process it depends on its intended use.

Good luck!

Shane

3. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Working in tobacco...brings back memories. Don't forget to spray for mold and tobacco worms. All the different sprays for everything that reads do not inhale may be carcingenic. It is much work everyday 7days a week.Doesn't bring as much money as it did 15yrs ago. Government buy back that didn't happen. Oops I forgot the $2.00 check that was sent. :grump: My portion of the government buyback :haha: Most of the tobacco growers are going into fresh shrimp business, at least in my area. Anyway, good luck on your tobacco crop.
    tnborn

4. melwynnd

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm only growing a little plot, for my husband's chewing habit(at $5.00 a can, hopefully he'll like it) and natural insecticide, so no huge fields swaying in the breeze.(does that make the flashbacks go away?? :haha: )

I'm sure mold is not going to be a problem here. It is drier than Phoenix, AZ. We get less than 6 inches precip a YEAR. Not sure about tobacco worms. No one grows it around here, so if they aren't imported on seeds, maybe I'll be safe.

Sherry

5. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Where did you get your seed?

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Everytime I see that, for a second it looks like: "I am only growing a little pot". :haha:

7. melwynnd

Sue,

I got my seed on e-bay. I was shocked at how tiny tobacco seeds are. I can't imagine planting the things commercially. They literally look like dust.
    Still, I have 24 peat pots with at least one sprout. Most of them have more.

Southerngurl,

Perhaps that is a Fruedian thing :haha: .

8. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Did they tell you what type of tobacco it was? Most varieties are specialized for a specific use (pipe vs cigar vs cigarette vs snuff vs chewing). Not saying you can't chew a smoking variety, but its not going to match whats in the can at the store. We mostly grew Burley tobbaco. Depending on the grade it was either used for cigars or cigarettes or plug. Some of the old guys would chew it....but you have got to be a REAL man to chew that stuff straight. Other varieties have a higher sugar content that make them more palatable.

The way we grew it was to broadcast the seed in large covered beds. When the seedlings were about pencil thick we would pull them and plant them in the field.

Good Luck!

Shane

9. melwynnd

This was advertised as a chewing variety that grew well in the north. I'm planning on playing with adding mint leaves, or maybe molasses. Anyway, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. :)

Sherry