Has anyone frozen eggs???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JennNY, Aug 20, 2006.

1. JennNY

JennNY Mom to 6 great kids!

With the abundance of eggs and knowing that the cooler/shorter days are coming and my egg supply will diminish... someone recommended cracking eggs (2 at a time or so) then bag and freeze them. Think this would work? Say for cookies/cakes/baking stuff?

I think I might try some and then thaw them and use them.

Jenn

2. neolady

neolady Well-Known Member

I know a fairly large egg producer that used to do something similar with their cracks years ago. They cracked them into a pail, froze them, and then they were sold to restaurants.

You can crack them into some margarine containers, scramble them and then thaw them and fry them up for "scrambled eggs" at another time. I believe that smaller eggs will also fit individually in certain sizes of ice cube trays, then can be popped out of the trays into bags and maintained until needed as single eggs.

3. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

4. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

It has been a long time that I froze eggs, but I seem to remember you can not freeze them whole, the yolk will get thick and rubbery. they are okay if you scramble them. I used them for baking.

5. JennNY

JennNY Mom to 6 great kids!

Thanks so much for the link CraftyDiva... It was a great help!

Thanks to those that responded!

Jenn

6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Huh, been having frozen eggs for years now, didn't know I was supposed to have rubbery yokes. Never had that problem with them.

During the winter, many of my eggs are frozen naturally.