Has anyone experianced this before with a Doe?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kickingbird, Feb 6, 2005.

1. kickingbird

kickingbird Active Member

i have posted a simalar question before.
    i have a doe that is due to kid any day, week, second or month...your guess is as good as mine..i just don't know.. the doe has something protruding from her vulva she is not prolapsing. she doesnt appear to be in labor but this thing is round pink and the size of a golf ball, any thoughts of what this might be? it has been there for about a month.
    her vulva is extremly swollen when this ball appears. any thoughts???

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I am not sure that it isn't a type of a prolaspe, I would have a vet check her out, could be some tissue sticking out, which wouldn't be good, or could be the beginning of her labor. what is her temp? what does her udder look like? Is this a first time kidding? is she off feed? is she drinking enough> all these things come into play, at kidding time.
    It also could be the bottom of a kid. IF you are experianced in going inside a goat, then you coudl do a vag. check, if not have a vet. show you how, not hard. I got a crash course on that the first year, we had goats, but that is a whole new story, but seriously, I would have her checked. I think bettr safe than sorry.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I had this with my old gal Fawn who just passed away 8 days ago (RIP). She was Nubian and her first batch of trips about one month prior to kidding I thought she had started labor....but it was just a large cyst that the vet used burdizzio on....we had it tested and it was negative for everything...one month later she had 2 doelings and a buckling....just as pretty as you please at 9yo. No complications, no antibiotics, no problems.... I waited 24 hrs before calling vet because no temp. eating well no distress....but I did type fast and hard on here....Vicki was helpful to me!

She had trips last Spring as well....at 10 yo,,,and no more cysts.

4. kickingbird

kickingbird Active Member

she has plenty of water she is eating well and she is uncomfortable when i try to touch her utter to see how tight it is. it is totaly full.
    she is a first time kidding.

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

are you sure that it isn't the swelling that you see, is it a ball you say, coming out of her vag. I think i would have a vet. check this fast. if it is a cist, or boil, or anything like that , you might want this taken care of before she kids.
    Now first fresheners, can get a might skiddish checking their udders, but you can watch, and her udder will get a shine to the skin, same with her teats. that is a sure fire sign, she will kid before to long. and her teats will just point straight out, they will be so full, but not always. I had a first fresheneer, last year, and she didn't bag until her baby was about 12hrs. old. thank God, I had frozen colustrum from another dow, and so I gave her baby that, and milk.
    some times I think first freheners, get over whemed at the whole thing, but by the second or third time round, they are good and settled, and nothing to it. hope this helps.

6. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

I think I would have this checked out too -- there is nothing IN the vagina that would just bulge out like a ball in any normal situation. The only thing that could poke out like that would be a prolapse of some kind. Bladder? Rectal? Vaginal? Can't tell without looking.

The other option would be the one of the cyst -- you are definitely going to want to take care of this before she delivers....if it is completely blocking the birth canal, you'll be in trouble.

Tracy

7. Dream Acres Va

Dream Acres Va Member

After checking in my vet book this is what I found:

"The condition where the vagina of the pregnant doe starts to fall out through the vulva is seen occasionally. It is of little significance in itself but the doe may begin to strain as a natural reflex and this is harmful. The delicate tissues also become prone to damage on hard objects and then bleed.

The replacement of the vagina is a fairly stimple job for your vet. The vet may either suture the side sof the vulva to prevent prolapse, or insert a plastic retainer solf for use in sheep. The condition is thought to be due to excessive abdominal pressure and is most likely to occur in overfat does. Just before kidding, the sutures or retainer should be removed.

Prevention relies upon keeping does lean in the early part of the pregnancy."

A prolapse uterus occurs after the birthing due to continued straining and is an EMERGENCY. Do not attempt to do anything because chasing the doe around will most likely result in this delicate organ being bruised and possibly torn. While waiting for the vet, get buckets of hot & cold water for washing purposes, or get the doe to the vets immediately for surgery!!!

Hope this helps.

:cool: