Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...turned an old septic into a root cellar or storm shelter? I recently discovered that my new property never had the old septic collapsed (10 years ago). I recently had a suggestion to pump it out and have the top removed to turn it into a food storage. Anyone ever done this? Tips on where to start/who to call to get the top removed? Sounds fun but I'm a bit intimidated by the project.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
...turned an old septic into a root cellar or storm shelter? I recently discovered that my new property never had the old septic collapsed (10 years ago). I recently had a suggestion to pump it out and have the top removed to turn it into a food storage. Anyone ever done this? Tips on where to start/who to call to get the top removed? Sounds fun but I'm a bit intimidated by the project.
Considering what is typically inside a septic tank, why would you want your food in there? How would you ever get it completely sanitized?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considering what is typically inside a septic tank, why would you want your food in there? How would you ever get it completely sanitized?
Haha!! Yeah. That's valid. I have no idea to be honest. I mean, it's possible that total decomposition has occurred. It has spent 10 years without anything in it. But yeah. I've got no idea.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Haha!! Yeah. That's valid. I have no idea to be honest. I mean, it's possible that total decomposition has occurred. It has spent 10 years without anything in it. But yeah. I've got no idea.
My first thought was about the same as above... after that long though, I don't think there would be much to worry about. But, you may want to double check with someone more knowledgable. I think a plastic layer or rubberized paint would help decontaminate it

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
The only openings I've ever seen on a (concrete) septic tank are the 4--5 inch inlet, the same size outlet on the other end, and the cleanout lid on the inlet side--about 18 inch diameter on the top of the tank. Certainly not a walk in arrangement. And obviously, no bottom drain, any groundwater inside it would have no place to go but up......Probably oughtta rethink it...

geo

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Fill it in and grade top level. Cost more to clean it up and repair it than to build something new for your root storage. I did restore an old water cellar that was 8ft. deep and had cement bottom, wall, and top. Sealed in a few cracks and removed soil on the front side and put a door in. Install new flooring and drain tile around it. Build a small sitting area on top and installed a top to keep rain off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Breathable air - not just what might be in it but what might not be in it is a thought. There are many places where a worker would be in a container and it is ESSENTIAL to have a forced air supply. Also, for storage, humidity could be a problem.

On my gun safe I have a label: "INSIDE IS AMMUNITION, POWDER AND PRIMERS. DO NOT CUT."

On your tank you could post: "PLEASE PLACE THE FLAG SO WE KNOW YOUR BODY IS TO BE RETREIVED."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts