Has anyone ever been banned from eBay?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marisal, Oct 7, 2005.

1. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

I went to check on my auctions, and it said user is banned. I checked my email, and it said I was banned! But didnt say why. It just said that I was banned for the safety of eBay and its customers.

I emailed them asking them what I did, and they emailed me back saying that with the increased security that they have implimented, they randomly pick people to do this to, to check there identity. They said they know it will affect some innocent people, but it is the best way to check for fraud.

So I have to fax over a copy of my drivers licence, a copy of my credit card summary(For the card I have on file), a copy of a utilites bill for address verification(that is all in my hubby's name), and a reciept for the items I had listed, which I dont have, I had these for a while, so I need to send a picture of me holding the items that I had listed for sale!

Needless to say, I am done with eBay. I found someone that for a small percent, will sell everything I have for me.

I was just wondering if anyone had this happen to them.

~Marisa :)

2. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

First of all MAKE SURE YOUR TALKING to ebay. if you got an email from ebay go directly to ebay and dont click on the link. If you like pm me or someone you trust with your ebay ID and let us look to see if your really banned.

I get 5-10 emails a week saying I was banned and all "phising" email.
    DONT trust going to ebay.com, there are ways for virus to spoof this.
    Using your filemanager look for a file call hosts, Should be in c:\Windows\system32\etc\hosts. See what is in that file. It generally should be empty except for # comment lines and 127.0.0.1 localhost line. If it has anything else you may have a virus.

EBAY should not be asking for information, NEVER give your DL to anyone.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I would agree, you are being scammed. Be very careful, someone is trying to get your personal info from you. You need to contact the _real_ ebay and go from there.

--->Paul

4. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Gary is right!! Ive used ebay forever, and have never ever been asked for anything like that.... and it is very common to get those fake emails...
    You need to open a new window and type in the ebay address, log in and see what is up... stay away from those links!! Same goes for paypal. especially paypal... your id and your $$ can both be taken.
    Be careful!!

5. marisal

I have been in touch with ebay safe harbor since this has happened. When you look up my user name it says no longer a registered user. I was just wondering if this happened to anyone else.

~Marisa

6. CountryBumpkinLisa

CountryBumpkinLisa Well-Known Member

Yep they did the same thing to me. Called and told them to bite me! And I won't go back.

7. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

I NEVER answer ANY e-mails from E-BAY UNTIL I VERIFY they are valid. It sounds like FRAUD to me. IF it came in an E-mail don't answer it call E-BAY or send the e-mail to E-BAY FIRST

8. marisal

I emailed eBay first. I went to my account and it was suspended. So I went to the contact safe harbor page and emailed them from that.

9. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Ebay should tell you in the email why you were suspended. Have you received any complaints lately, like non performing seller, paypal disputes?
    In my opinion Safe Harbor is a waste of time. The same email that you received in you email should be in your MY MESSAGES on your MY EBAY page. Look there and see there should be a like in that message for you to use for an answer.

10. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

EBAY does NOT ask you to send in information like that. Check out the FAQS on Ebay's site. I work for a website, and I handle ALL KINDS of fraud from silly people that sent in their SSN, driver's license, credit card numbers, etc. It's sad, really.

11. marisal

I just signed up a few weeks ago. I asked them why they did it, and they said that thing about a random check.

12. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know then. I have been on E-BAY for years and have never heard of them banning anyone unless there was a violation of some kind. Hope you get it straightened out. If it really is just radom I think that stinks.

13. marisal

Heres a bit of the email that they sent after I emailed them FIRST.

"I can understand your frustration in wanting more information regarding
    what led us to take this action on your account. As you may know, eBay
    is taking a tougher stand to prevent fraud on our site. Regretfully, in
    that process, a few honest members may be required to take one or two
    extra steps before they are allowed to participate on eBay.

For security reasons we are unable to be more specific about the details that led to this action. If you would like to have the account
    considered for reinstatement then we require that you proceed with the
    appeals process as previously outlined."

14. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Was the same email in your MY MESSAGES? About being suspended..

15. marisal

Yes.

16. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

What did that email say? (copy/paste) Maybe we can get this figured out

17. marisal

So I emailed them back asking what I did wrong, and this is the reply back:

I just signed up a few weeks ago. I bid on a few things, but never won, and I just listed a few things, but they canceled those. It was just camera stuff I listed.

18. FUNKY PIONEER

FUNKY PIONEER No I don't smell Funky

19. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

The email you received sounds like someone reported you for invalid contact information.

I hope you don't mind but I posted this over on ebay to see if anyone over there has gotten this same type of thing and if the reg's have ever heard of it and what you need to do to fix it. If you would rather not have it over there I will gladly self report myself and get the thread pulled? By the way I didn't use any names or your user id. Just said I heard of someone this had happened too..

20. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Sure does but I don't care who you are you don't need my credit card summary or drivers license if I have a valid address, email address, and phone number on file, Call me for goodness sakes.