Has anyone ever beat conjestive heart failure?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Star In N.C., Jul 6, 2006.

1. Star In N.C.

Star In N.C. Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone has ever beating conjestive heart failure?
    If you know someone or if it haas happened to you that you won this battle please write my here or in private. I really want my DH to be around long enough to see my DD greatgrand kids.
    Star

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I have CHF type 4; there is no beating it. All you can do is stretch out the doctors version of time limits given. The damage has been done, short of a transplant there is nothing else available.

Adjusted diet, no ciggies, no sauce, ect.

But do know, apparently in my case the electrical signal for the heart to beat has failed, the left side does get a constant signal, the right side responds to the body's need for a faster heart beat; if I do anything that requires a faster heart beat - the system shuts down completely. Any fatiguing activity by the CHF individual can be fatal.

Learn to cherish the time frame - not much else is available.

3. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

My mother had it for many years it wasn't what finally took her. She was 80 and had lots of great grandkids..

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Stop smoking, stop caffeine, exercise within reason (walking or swimming is best). Take breaks as necessary during the day, and a short afternoon nap is a real help.

You live with it and adjust. :)

The real trick is getting the person with CHF to admit that lifestyle changes need to be made.

5. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

CHF can be caused by many things. My dad was diagnosed with it, and it was caused by one of his meds. After coming off the meds, and getting the fluid off, he was fine. There are many causes, some treatable and some not. Make sure your DH's doctors are looking at all possibilities.

6. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

In March 2002 after three heart attacks and by-pass surgery, my husband went into congestive heart failure. During this year he could not do much more than sit in a chair. We made many, many trips to the ER during this year. After talking with his cardiologist, he felt that he had a maximum of two years and suggested he go through heart transplant evaluation. He was 57 years old at this time. He started his evaluation in November 2002 and was accepted for the transplant list. On February 11, 2003, they felt a need to hospitalize him until a donor heart became available. On February 22, 2003, he received his heart transplant, which was successful. However, he developed pneumonia afterwards, which was critical for nearly a week. After he got over that, it was realized he had lost all his strength and had to go through rehab hospital and learn to walk again. He came home two months later in a wheel chair. I'm very happy and very thankful to say today he's doing wonderful, and can do almost anything he wants to do within reason. We've been very blessed. He does take care of himself and take all his many medications as he should, along with his routine check ups and tests that are necessary. I just wanted to share this with you. We knew no one who had had a heart transplant and we were terrorized when it was first mentioned. I send good wishes you way. We thank God for donor families willing to donate their loved ones organs and tissues.

7. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

My grandmother was diagnosed with it at the age of 63. She lived to be 98! She walked everyday, drank moderately, kept her weight down and maintained a cheery attitude...

8. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

I read an article somewhere that a doc had developed a kevlar bag that fits tightly around the heart and prevents it's expansion. Still experimental but an interesting developement.

9. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a friend who was being evaluated for a procedure where they wrap muscles from your back round the heart to help it out. That was going to be done in Philadelphia. Perhaps that is something else you can check out though possibly the kevlar wrap is a newer version of that. Unfortunately she died before the surgery but she did not lose any weight or follow the drs orders well.
    I too know many that have lived a long time with this condition. Good luck to you both,
    PQ

10. straight shot

straight shot Well-Known Member

My mother was diagnosed in 1980 with CHF, docs told her she had a year to live, they could do nothing for her, she was asthmatic also. She researched different diets and put herself of a low fat, no processed, no white , 3 ounces of meat per day no salt diet. she also walked a mile a day ( she could not walk that far so broke it into 4 sessions a day). She did very well on this and had 8 good years, She passed in 1989 just 49 years old. My family thinks it was all the meds she was on that made her body start shutting down, her kidneys and other organs started to fail in the end.

I wish your husband well , a good attitude goes a long way when a person is sick and there is not much docs can do. Some peoples journey though life doesn't seem fair, just keep you sprits up and enjoy the time you do have.

11. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

In Japan the medical community uses theraputic doses of co-enzyme Q-10 for heart failure. Figured out the dosage for DH, but he didn't get "into" it.

Mon

12. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

Deaconjim is right. There are a lot of different causes. Sometimes the CHF is reversible, sometimes it's a permanent condition. There are different degrees of severity, too. Suffering a heart attack can bring on severe CHF, but sometimes, with time and healing and a healthy lifestyle, that same person may be very active a year or more later. I remember patients from the cardiac rehab program of a Boston hospital getting together to run the Boston Marathon. The same is true of someone with acute kidney problems; if that is cleared up, the CHF may be only temporary. When the heart muscle itself is permanently and extensively damaged, though, a degree of CHF becomes a permanent part of the person's life, and managing it to forestall crisis becomes the goal.
    I hope that you, your husband, and his doctors find a way to keep your guy in good enough shape to enjoy the greatgrandkids.

13. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

My Mom had it. She was in kidney failure due to type I diabetes, though. She died at 56 years old of a heart attack with an enlarged heart. But, she had the CHF for pretty near 10 years before it took her, and it is not uncommon for type I diabetics to die in their 50's. (This is the childhood type, not the lifestyle type. She was skinny as a rail, and ate very healthy foods, though she could have exercised more, I guess. She tried anyway...)

14. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

Diagnosed with CHF in 1995, ejection factor of 8%, My doctor was amazed thta I was even moving. The weekend before I gave up and went to the hospital I was showing dogs, running around the ring!! Coughing my head off.
    Well I was totally weak, and exhausted, still am to some extent.
    I am supposed to take a million different meds, I take some of them all the time, some of them part of the time, and some of them....well......
    But when I first started I took them all all the time. I also was worked up for a heart tranplant, the doctors still update me yearly just in case.
    But after I went though all the workups they decided I was too healthy for a transplant and could be handled by medicine.
    Now 11 years later, I still have asmatha, but the singluar help emmensely, and now have diabeties (sp), and CHF but I can do just about anything I want, for a short time. I show dogs, but afterward I rest. It may take a whole day of doing nothing, but then I'm ready to go again!!!
    So there is hope, and it does depend on what kind of CHF he has. They diagonosed me as edopathic Cardoi myopathy. sure wish I could spell!!!

Alice in Virginia

15. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Mine was caused by a bad thyroid. 18 yrs ago at age 44. Also suffered hypothyroidism and liver infection at the same time.
    I put off any treatment until I got so bad I couldn't sleep on my back as I could no longer breath laying down. (Dumb Me).

After long time in ICU, I am ok today. I quit smoking, drinking alcohol and a generally bad life style.

TODAY: The heart is working at 70% capacity and I do almost everything I want to. I do have a fear of not being able to breath, as that was one of my symptoms, so I try to control my breathing and of course that is NOT the way to live.

My aunt, 70's also has CHF and is doing good on her meds.

So, BEAT IT? maybe not. LIVE WITH IT? Absolutely, yes :) from my experience.

16. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

This thread is very interesting and encouraging to me. DH was dignosed with CHF about 4 years ago. At the same time he found out he has type 2 diabetes. He's been on BP meds for about 20 years. His doctor told him there is no cure, but it can be controlled.

17. Star In N.C.

Star In N.C. Well-Known Member

I was reading the replys I never was told the degree of CHF. The doctor would not even talk about heart transplant. DH has lost from 400 pounds to 323 since november 30,2004 when we were told he had CHF. The doctor at the time gave him 6 months. The nurse at the hospital we took him to last week said there was a lot of fluids on his chest and in his arm. Then his regular doctors nurse said all test came back clear. I asked her why the nurse at the hospital was so upset by the fluid then she explained that until he dies he would always have this problem. DH and Me does not drink, smoke, and we do not use drugs ( but the ones the "doctor" orders us.) This is the same doctor that prescribed meds that said if you have any problems with your heart it will kill you. I have been looking into other doctors in our area but the ones I have taken him to does the same way as the one he has now. I guess this is why I am always looking for a way to keep him around. He can not go any farther then the living room then he is tired. He stands on his feet to long and they swell to twice the size. The doctor admitted that the meds they have him on was the reason for the CHF (actos and insulin)and the reason for the added weight. When we asked about it when he was gaining weight they said just exercise more. Then he goes off the meds and dropped 20 pounds in less then a month.Oh yea the diabetic meds could not be the problem but they are. I have lost all faith in the doctors and he is always stressed out about the bills. I try to make him laugh. Most of the times it fails. I am at the end of the rope. I am trying to have a positive out look but boy is it really hard at times. We have changed a lot of our eatting habits.
    Star

18. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Star, a lot of things enter into being an eligible heart transplant candidate. The evaluation my husband went through was extensive. There might be reasons your doctor hasn't mentioned it to you, but I would certainly ask. We weren't pleased with his local cardiologist, but he did tell us he thought it would be a good idea to go through the evaluation. My husband's transplant was done in New Orleans, but after the Katrina problems last year there, he's moved to UAB in Birmingham. Atlanta has a well know transplant center also. I'm not sure about North Carolina where you are. If the doctor has mentioned 6 months to you, I would definitely be finding out if he qualified.

19. mtnbluet881

mtnbluet881 Well-Known Member

I totally understand as my DH was admitted to the hospital in March as we noticed breathing difficulties in spite of having beat pneumonia. He had water in all his body causing CHF. They restricted water intake and put him on larix, which takes off the water. They did put him on oxygen as he has sleep apnea and his CO was 120--finally got down to 72, but did not give him a machine to take home with him. Finally he is only on oxygen with activity, instead of all the time. He was at 481 lbs in hospital and was down to 442, now up again to 452.
    One very helpful nutrient has been Benfotiamine from Benfotiamine.net This actually adjusts the sugar content in the feet and legs cells. It also gets the redness and puffy-ness out of the feet and legs, making them not hurt anymore. The Benfotiamine with all the b vitamins seems to work the best.
    Also, I just googled on taurine and found that this natural amino acid can get used up with exercise and so is helpful to combat CHF.

We have changed to eat as naturally as possible and I just went to make bread the other day and LOL could not find the salt. Still can't--used salt from the pretzels I eat. (Means he hasn't been cheating!)

We do have a weight gym in our house to help him lose weight.
    If I find out anymore tips I will let you know, and I will keep you both in my prayers.

20. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Have you tried the Carolina Medical Center hospital in Charlotte? Here is a copy an paste of there service..... "We also offer The Carolinas Heart Institute at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, N.C., which is a major heart transplant and cardiac care center in the Southeast region" The peopel that I know that have gone here return home satisfied that they ahve received the best treatment and expertise available in the U.S. My neighbor was diagnosed elsewhere with a poor chance of survival for 1 year. That was in excess of 20 years ago.For more information about The Carolinas Heart Institute, call 800-55-HEART.