Has anyone done this?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by stanb999, Aug 15, 2005.

1. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

This is the first year at the new place. I thought that due to the added room I should plant more. So When I planted the zucchini I planted the whole packet of seeds. I now have 30 plants producing. AHHHHHHH.......
    I've been harvesting them for about 3 weeks and I'm gettin about a bushel every 4 days and now we have gotten some rain so all bets are off as to what to expect. :eek:

2. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

The way my garden is this year I'm babying every one I can get from my one plant. Too bad you don't live closer, I'd take some (did I say that?) I planted three once and I thought that was bad but a whole package! Get out your dehydrator winter is coming.

3. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

The dreaded zucchini harvest :) We're down to two plants and still have enough to give away. Same with cucumbers, when we started gardening years ago we thought we needed to plant a whole 30' row of them, we're now down to two plants of those too. Live and learn.

4. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Stan, thanks for my laugh of the day! 30 plants - now THAT is insane. We have five and that's too many. Just when I think I have tackled what's out there for the time being, I'll see one the size of a baseball bat that's been hiding under the straw. :eek:

Oh well, live and learn!

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Chickens and ducks will gladly make good feed if you have an overabundance of zucchini's. We used to chop them in smaller chucnks and they would have at it, including the seeds inside. 30 plants would be just about right for a flock of about 50 or more birds. I wouldn't mind that at all to save on a bit of feed cost.

6. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

That is as funny as the year my DD and I planted 80 tomato plants! How did we know! We were used to city soil!

7. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Yeah I definitely went overboard this time. But the hogs seem to like them. :)