Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though this isnt the exact one this is closest I can find on the website. Since we have had hospital bills coming out the ying yang my spring barn isnt going to happen and I dont really want to put my goat goats aside so I had thought of getting this temp barn to use for them and hay storage.
though I would like for it to last several years, if it would last one maybe two I think I would be alright.
It doesnt freeze here often, but often enough you want something, snow isnt much of a concern (watch us have a blizzard now). We plan on building stalls to keep the goats off the walls on the inside.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...10551_10001_34079_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

these will be on sale for $250 on black friday

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would be more worried about the material since goats love to chew :D. Have you thought of a metel carport that is sided all the way down. Here in Fla the price i believe is around 700$. But i know how medical can take a chunk out of the account.

·
www.waltersgirlsfarm.com
299 Posts
If it is just for your hay storage it would be fine as long as the goats cant get to it. As for your goats they will eat it. Some of my goats use large dog houses. They seem to get 2 to a house, dont ask me how. It was not my plan to use dog houses I moved the pygmy's and built a bigger pen for the boer goats and had not moved a couple of dog houses and they rather went in those than in the barn. Just a suggestion

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
grand total so far is 128,000 on the medical, that more than we paid for a nice house on 5 acers.
I thought about the chewing as well, if it becomes a problem we can e-fence it so that they can only go in, the stalls should keep them from getting to it on the inside.

·
Premium Member
16,059 Posts
Some people have built some nice hoop houses using horse panels for not much money. Then your e-fence could be used to keep them away from the fabric on the outside and horse panels on the inside.

My goats are fine in an open air shelter in -25 degrees. It's in the teens at night now and they just sleep outside on the waste hay next to the big bale. Just give them a place to get out of the wind and rain and good food.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
isnt this fabric alittle more thicker than tarps? I priced a materials for the hoop house and didnt come out much ahead with this being on sale for 250, the cattle pannels have went up to 29 or $32 each. One thing that might make a difference, pvc pipe or metal, which did you use?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I use the metal cattle panels.Welded wire.TSC has it They used to be 16.00 each.I think they are 12 or14ft long.We just anchor the ends of the cattle panel and make an arch. I think we used 3 and it is a bout 12 ft long and 5ft high in the center.The tarp if you get a good one is thicker and lasts about 2 years.Like I said my only problem has been "Idjit" the "oberhasli" she can jump on top and uses it like a trampoline.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, so Im fried, I didnt think of rounding them and thats how we get them loaded onto trucks. They are all 16 foot btw.
This gives me thought, but then I also have the horse too (16h), but I think I can do something else for him and still may come out cheaper..Brain working here watch out.

I think I really need to get myself addicted to coffee

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more quickie and I have to go to work, canvas or just a heavy duty tarp? how do I secure this to the ground to keep from blowing?

Im sure mine will be on top more than in it too lol...

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
One more quickie and I have to go to work, canvas or just a heavy duty tarp? how do I secure this to the ground to keep from blowing?

If you buy a canvas tarp you will be ahead. Some goats/kids will chew on plastic tarps and if they climb on it......yeah, canvas is better. I say this yet I am using a cheapie plastic tarp because I couldn't shell out the cash for a canvas one. But it looks like I will need to change it for a new on here in a couple months.
I secure it to the ground by pounding T-posts into the ground, lashing 2X4s against them on the ground and then nailing my bowed panels to the 2X4s. And of course build it so that the wind blows mostly or all against the bowed sides of the hoop house and not into the hoop house.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if I can come out cheaper then this is the way to go i think, the only draw back is of course them being on top

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, just to make sure Im thinking right, Im so friggen tired its unreal and stressed, that would put the top bow at 8 feet, but how wide would be the peak width? just trying to figure if I can sqeeze big man in some how, or even if I could use two pannels to make it wider instead of bending one.

Something for me to think about, if I dont get some word on this promotion soon i think IM going to go nuts.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Before we built the big barn this spring we used a dog kennel that was 10 x 10. We put canvas tarps and covered the sides and top. For the top my husband put some ijoists so that it wouldn't sag when it snowed or rained.

·
Registered
333 Posts
P.S. to last message....you might find a used one on craigslist or if you have a swap shop on the radio where you are. Might try putting a wanted ad in the paper. Never know what people have around and want to get rid of.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We are currently using a hoophouse for our chicken house and plan on making a few more next year, for the chickens and goats.
During the summer we put a 4 foot piece of tarp down the center to shade either one side or the other depending the time of day. we topped the tarp with chicken wire, while that may seem redundent.. it really helped.. no rips or tears in the $1.97 tarp! we left that there and just added a larg tarp an another large piece of chicken wire to cover it for winter.. It is very warm inside.. I have hung white christmas lights set on a timer for early daylight.

Works like a charm and not quite $100 invested.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
For sturdy, small shelters, a quonset-type hut or calf hutch can't be beat. You spend your money once, and have a comfy, permanent but portable shelter. I use several of each (calf hutches / quonset huts) for my several different pastures. The floors are pallets with plywood nailed to the top. They can be bedded for winter. My goats like and use them. They jump on top of them and do no damage. No muss, no fuss, and not extremely expensive.

NeHi

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I second the calf hut idea. I *love* mine. Have had them for years, they are easily movable and very durable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts