Has any one else tried this?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by CurtisWilliams, Apr 10, 2005.

1. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    About a week ago, as I was going thru my seeds, I realized the potential for cheap seeds from the supermarket. I ran an informal experiment with dried lentils and 4 kinds of beans. My sprout rate was about 50-60%, not too bad for seeds that cost $.99/lb. Right now, I am working on black beans, pinto beans, black eyed peas (cow peas), lentils, barley(pearled, so I am not expecting anything) and will try others as time permits. Black eyed peas had the best sprout ratio - about 80%, and white beans (Lima) had the worst at +- 10%. Given the cost, a 50% ratio would still be cheaper than packeted seeds @ $1-$2 for a few grams. Now, I realize that you get what you pay for and that skimping on seeds to save a few dollars may not be a good idea, but if the wallyworld dried beans produce well, why not? I'll let you know how they perform.

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I've done it with lentils and pop corn. When I realized the trouble lentisl were, I decided to continue to buy them. I hate growing corn, too. I don't get good stalks, I can't keed to cob worms out and it takes too long to grow.

I think, any way you can go the cheapest is best, but I wonder about the quality of the seeds...were they organic, do they have pesticide residue, etc. Can you grow something organicly and call it that if you don't know where the seed came from? I guess that really doesn't matter if I eat the stuff, anyway.

3. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I do it with blackeyed peas and pintos. Got some anasasi beans this year too.
    Ed

4. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

We tried it with chick peas but no luck there! It's still in be BR window so there's still some small hope on hubby's part! He thought it just might fly! Heeheehee!

:haha:

5. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I sprout lentils all the time to eat as a salad.

6. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

COOL!! I've been wondering about this, because I love adzuki beans and they are hard to find, and I've never seen seed for them! I'm going to try them, mine are even organic, so no worries there!

hollym