Harvesting

Discussion in 'Market Gardens' started by Ross, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

What are the most forgiving crops to harvest? I mean what crops are the least time sensitive for harvesting or only get bigger with age. Potatoes come to mind, as do a lot of root crops, but what else has that advantage?

2. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Onions! Here in Oklahoma they can be planted anytime from Feb. thru the end of May. However the earlier you start them the bigger the heads they will get. I try to get mine out as soon as they become available on the store shelf.

Corn. Also here in Oklahoma we have a bit longer growing season then most states north of us. However, we do need to get most of it planted and harvested before the heat drought hits us in the month of August when everything burns up here.

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I think myheaven is talking about winter squash, like Butternut, Hubbard, Turk's Turban, Red Kuri, Acorn, etc. I love to grow them because once they are established you can pretty much forget about them until harvest (unless you have a problem with squash bugs).

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

pumpkins, winter squash, brussel sprouts, rutabagas, carrots. These are a few that come to mind.