Harvesting wild Dogwood trees to sell.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by r.h. in okla., Feb 7, 2005.

1. In my neck of the woods the Dogwood trees will overrun the forrest grounds. I'm wondering how good they would be for transplanting compared to buying from a nursery. Just thinking of extra money if I dug up a few and offered them for sale at our monthly yardsale. If you think they would work should I start digging them up now to offer at our 1st weekend of March yardsale?

We also have lots of Redbud saplings too.

2. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

the extension service in our area says that wild dogwood is almost imposible to get to live if you dig it up in the wild. I had the same idea you had and checked with them before I did all the work of digging them up. They also said it carried some type of rust or disease that would spread to your other trees

3. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Dogwoods seem to be pretty particular about where they are planted....almost always see them under bigger trees same as the redbuds. Don't know how sucessfully they'd transplant....but they sure are a lovely spring sight. DEE

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Nosing around the Internet, seems that transplanting is the last thing among suggestions for propagating dogwoods. Every place says either cuttings or seeds. Apparently they will start easily from either green or hardwood cuttings.

http://volusia.org/arboretum/Trees/dogwood.htm

Martin

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Last winter, we transplanted 10 dogwood seedlings. The fall before we located a huge, blight-free tree, and tagged a dozen seedlings from it. We transplanted...hmmm, I was on my spring break, so March sometime. Of the ten we took, six have done well, and 4 died. One died on transplant, three later in the season, after quite a bit of growth. We transplanted tulip poplar, sweet gum, and sassafras at the same time, and had much higher loss with the sassafras.
    We have decided to replace the dogwoods that died with purchased seedlings, to get ones big enough to match what is left.
    The ones we moved were about a foot high on average at the time of transplant. They are between two and three feet high now.

Sometimes, telling someone something can't be done just makes it so no one tries anything.

Meg