Harvesting: What all do you harvest?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Nov 21, 2004.

1. We all know the story of the pilgrams and the first thanksgiving meal. So I ask, "in a years time, what all do you harvest"? Whether it be something you raise, gather out in the wild, or buy from the market when in season. List what and when you harvest, maybe the rest of us could take up on it also.

I'll start first.

Spring time I harvest wild onions, mushrooms, sandbass and crappie and am starting to harvest some of the first veggies from my garden such as onions, mustard greens, spinach and other cool weather crops. I also try to harvest a squirrel or two before the ticks get to bad.

Summer, more fish mostly catfish and sun perches. More veggies such as green beans, and taters, squash, okra and many other veggies. I also visit some pick your own orchards for such things as strawberries, peaches and blue berries.

Fall, I usually switch from fishing to more hunting and chase after deer, squirrels, and rabbits. Falls also a time to gather nuts such as walnuts, pecans, and more mushrooms. In late fall its time to process that pig if I happen to be raising one.

Winter, not much left to gather except a occasional rabbit. But it is a great time to start gathering fire wood for next winter. Also a great time to use all that stuff that we have been gathering.

What all do you gather in a years time?

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

This year, I harvested swiss chard, green beans, corn, cucumbers, tomatos, a few onions, okra, carrots, lots of blackberries, pears, a few black rasberries, eggs, and a little honey.

I planted twice that, but such is life. :eek:

I also did not get around to fishing this year. I usually catch quite a few crappie, but I did not get around to going.

It was a good year for gardening, being wet and rather cool. I still have carrots and a few onions waiting to be dug.

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

My harvest varies somewhat from year to year.
    The past year, so far, I harvested walleye or crappie for eating purposes from lake or river fishing nearby. In late spring, I would harvest morel mushrooms and a few wild strawberries. Summer, I didn't grow a garden this past year, but in late summer picked wild blueberries and saskatoon berries. Early to mid fall I picked high bush cranberries and some crabapples, wild plums and bolete mushrooms and puffball edible mushrooms. I may harvest icefishing the odd pike or walleye to fillet for occasional dinner.
    The rest of 'harvest' is from grocery shopping in Safeway.
    We'll see what next year brings.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

It depends what i plant, but from the garden green and yellow beans tomatos, potatoes, corn, onion, green peppers, snow peas, lettuce, acorn squash, and cucumbers. From the fields, hay, sometimes small grains oats or barley, sometimes feild corn, sometimes Sorghum. We raise chickens and lamb, occasionally a pig or two, and rabbits if they aren't "Bunnies" which you can't eat. Occasionally we have egg layers and a beef calf or two as well.

5. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

We harvest blueberries from our little blueberry patch, wild blackberries when they're in season, eggs from the chickens when they are laying, chicken for the freezer when they are not ;-)

We also harvest lots of meat to load the freezer, dry goods and canned goods by the case when they are on sale. :haha:

Bob

6. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Mainly raise dairy (48 cows) and beef cattle (200 cow-calf pairs + about 150 Holstein steers), so I guess I harvest "milk" twice a day and butcher a steer once per year. Raise pigs farrow to finish (40 sows) as well, so we'll butcher a couple pigs each fall.

Field crops are (by acreage): corn, beans (We just call soybeans beans here), alfalfa and mixed hay, and oats.

The above are the cash crops, but my wife keeps some laying hens for eggs and we buy 100 chicks to raise up for fryers each summer.

The garden is mainly taken care of by my wife, but I help out when I have time. (It's always pretty weed-free, which isn't really my doing.) She raises quite a variety in there, but potatoes, sweet corn, tomatoes, carrots, onions, peas and cucumbers are the biggest. We raise squash, pumpkins (just a few) and try to raise cantaloupes and watermelons. She has all kinds of lettuce, cabbage, okra and peppers. A whole bunch of herbs, but don't ask me what.

We have 14 apple trees, about 50 raspberry canes, 200 strawberry plants, rhubarb, 6 blueberry bushes, 12 lingonberry bushes in a home-made bog, and as many ground cherries as I can talk her into planting each year. We have some grapevines as well, but had some winter-kill there. We gather wild raspberries (black caps), gooseberries, wild grapes, wild plums and chokecherries, and get walnuts from neighbors. Wild stuff sure tastes good but it's awful time consuming.

My wife has all kinds of flower beds and borders, but that's not for eating.

I mostly hunt for pheasants and Hun partridge, but I go deer hunting and we like to mix the venison with pork sausage. Tried my hand at turkey hunting the past few years, but only taken three toms in five years. Have to squeeze in the hunting around chores. I used to go coon hunting and run a trap line (mainly setting for fox) when I was a youngster, but no time for that now, and I gather not much money in trapping either. We have some good trout fishing and smallmouth fishing around here, but I sneak in a few minutes of fishing only a couple times a year. No real harvesting there.

At my age, I'm just thankful to answer the bell in the morning, but I hope to hang on for a couple more years. I want to keep at it until 75, and then just cut back to a few steers and the crops. I just try to keep myself so busy that noone notices how d*mn old I'm getting.

7. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

In my first year I got apples, pears, lots of chicken and duck eggs, turkey, chicken and duck meat. My first garden was a disapointment but I got Mint, Acorn squash, zuccini, a couple of pumpkins and cherry tomatoes (my dog stole all of the large tomatoes!). Not bad for a start!

I almost forgot! I got hundreds of peacock feathers!

8. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Along with the garden produce, we gather morels in the spring, wild onions and lambsquarter. Dandilions for wine, greens and dyes.
    I shear my sheep for spinning wool.
    Sandhill plums and mulberries in July, wild grapes in August. Fish as we can. We harvest dove, quail and deer.
    In the fall we gather echinacea for use during the winter months and flu season. I dry my own herbs.
    We raise our own pork and chicken so we butcher as needed. We raise our own shrimp, so that has been a nice addition to our winter store.
    I gather other wild plants to use as dye for my wool.
    Hmmmmm, I'm probably forgetting something.

9. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I was able to harvest peas, lettuce, radishes, potatoes, cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, pumpkins, green beans, lima beans, strawberries, corn, peter peppers, green onions, jalapenos & eggs.

I tried to grow beets, carrots & spinach but something ate them to the ground. I planted some more seeds in September and seem to be having a little more luck. I may get a bit to harvest before Xmas.

10. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

This year, 600,000 litres of milk
    52,000 bushels of corn
    700 tons of corn silage
    7200 bushels of soybeans
    3000 bushels of white winter wheat
    500 bushels of red winter wheat
    450 tons of alfalfa silage
    210 round bales of balage
    about 1100 dry round bales of hay
    315 round bales of wheat straw
    74 round bales of soybean straw
    42 bull calves
    14 cull cows

11. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

Well, milkstoolcowboy and DaleK, I totally identify with your harvests and what you put up with to get it, although it probably actually rains where you live.....not so in the High desert where you have to be a little kooky/eternal optimist...... to be a farmer :yeeha: :) We harvested: wheat, alfalfa in bales and haylage, corn silage, hi moisture corn, the dry corn is still standing because it is too wet to store, sorghum silage and oatlage. In the livestock end we harvested: 25 beef to customers and quite a few semiloads of custom fats off the packing plant. I had a few apples off of my ONE tree, several bowls of Nanking cherries, mucho tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zuchinni, parsley, basil, catnip, dandelions(for tea) and last but not least, glorious chicken eggs(our chickens die of old age cause hubby doesn't like chicken ;) ). I must say I am envious of those of you that have wild harvest stuff, you live where it actually rains. :haha: Where I live if you don't have irrigation you get nada!!!!!! :no: :D Marilyn, the farmer's wife..............

12. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

We had an interesting Thanksgiving meal -- one of our home-raised chickens served six, with left-overs for broth etc. The cheapie in me likes that outcome! It went so far because MIL brought her renowned cheesy potatoes and the kids filled up on them! Then we had pumpkin pie from the one pie-pumpkin we were able to raise (had to buy all the others for farm stand!) The pie included eggs from our own flock of chickens and ducks.

This is a big deal to me because it's never happened liek that before, so much input from right here on teh farm. Needless to say we are thankful that the garden turned out and poultry are doing well.

On the "real" farm DH raised corn, beans, wheat, alfalfa hay and grass hay, and sold a lot (for us) of fat cattle. We actually make a big chunk of our income off small square bales. No more big round ones. No dairy cattle anymore.

Happy holidays!
    Ann