harvesting peanuts

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Doc, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

I grew peanuts this year for the first time, and I have an abundant crop. Question is: how do I dry them, and how long does it take? Would like to hear from someone who knows all about peanuts. Thanks.

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We grew them last year but didn't dry them properly and they were not usable. We will try planting them again next year and dry them in our greenhouse.

3. txmilkm

txmilkm Member

Do you have your vines pulled up and the peanuts picked off them? If so put them in onion sacks or burlap bags/gunny sacks and hang under a shed so that the air can ciruclate shake the sacks around some to make sure they dry evenly. Protect from freezing until they are dry or they get a funny taste. If the humidity is low and the sun is out you should have dry peanuts in about a week. They should rattle around loose inside the shell when you shake them.

When I was little back in the 60's my parents had about 50 acres of peanuts. Once the peanuts are ready to dig pull up the vines and lay them upside down with the tap root up for a few days. This will start the drying process and make them easier to pick off. (at this point they run combines over them to thrash) then they were put in 50# burlap potato sacks and left in the field to dry. At least once a day you had to turn the sacks so they would dry evenly.

If you don't have to many you can speed dry them in the oven at the lowest temp. Boiled green peanuts are also good. Hope this helps

txmilkman

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks, txmilkman, your reply is exactly what I needed to know.