Harvesting Black Walnuts

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BigSkyBoerGoats, Aug 17, 2004.

1. BigSkyBoerGoats

BigSkyBoerGoats Member

We have a bunch of Black Walnut trees and I was looking into making some cash on them. I found a processor out of Missouri who has a hulling location close to me in Ohio.

It looks like they will go at about $10 dollars for every hundred pds. Is it worth the work? That seems like a lot of work for a little money. I was wandering if anyone else harvests walnuts and if so...... who's the buyer and what kind of $ are you getting?

Jason
    www.BIGSKYBOERGOATS.com

2. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Jason,

If you are talking about Hammons, look a little closer. The price they are paying is after the hulls are removed.

DW and I have invested in a nut huller and have a cracker on order. This year we are starting with just our own nuts and possibly those from a few neighbors walnut groves. We plan on expanding by doing something similar to Hammons but on a smaller scale. The nearest of their buying stations is Mansfield.

We will sell our nut meats retail just like our honey. I've already got people lined up waiting to buy.

Mike

3. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Seems to me that if you gathered and shelled 100 pounds of walnuts and sold them to the wholesaler, you'd get $10, but if you sold them for as little as $1 per pound, you'd have $100. And I bet you can get more than $1 per pound...

4. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

John,

You need to improve your math (or understanding of black walnuts). Start with 100 lbs of nuts in the hull. After you remove the hull you might have 40 lbs of nuts in the shell.

So if he gets $1 per pound (in the shell) he would get $40 not $100. In order to get 100 pounds of nuts in the shell he would have to start with 220 pounds of nuts in the hull.

Crack the shells and remove the meat. You might have 20 lbs of nut meat.

Those shells are mighty tough to crack.

There is only one large producer/processer left because of the economics of the market. We just ordered a nut cracker made to order and it is over $4,000. On the other hand it cracks 600 pounds an hour <G>.

Mike

Mike

5. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i live in southern mo right now, we were just out picking up walnuts in the yard today ...
    3 5 gallon buckets ......
    a pickup truck load is about 800 lbs of hulled walnuts ... if you can do it in 8 hours ( that means picking over 150 lbs an hour, because of hull weight)
    it would be about 10.00 a n hour, no counting gas and drive time , to get there, yes it can be done, but why??????
    personally, i pick mine, and we keep em , why get paid such a tiny amount for them , then have ot go to the store in the holiday season to buy them ?

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Around here we pick on shares 50-50,50% goes to the picker after huled,and 50% goes to the owner.You pick Nuts off 600 acres of Trees in 2-3 weeks you do pretty good,but it sure is a lot of work.

big rockpile

7. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Well, it's mostly just pecans around here...