Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a bunch of Black Walnut trees and I was looking into making some cash on them. I found a processor out of Missouri who has a hulling location close to me in Ohio.

It looks like they will go at about $10 dollars for every hundred pds. Is it worth the work? That seems like a lot of work for a little money. I was wandering if anyone else harvests walnuts and if so...... who's the buyer and what kind of $ are you getting?

Jason
www.BIGSKYBOERGOATS.com

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Jason,

If you are talking about Hammons, look a little closer. The price they are paying is after the hulls are removed.

DW and I have invested in a nut huller and have a cracker on order. This year we are starting with just our own nuts and possibly those from a few neighbors walnut groves. We plan on expanding by doing something similar to Hammons but on a smaller scale. The nearest of their buying stations is Mansfield.

We will sell our nut meats retail just like our honey. I've already got people lined up waiting to buy.

Mike

·
Registered
311 Posts
BigSkyBoerGoats said:
We have a bunch of Black Walnut trees and I was looking into making some cash on them. I found a processor out of Missouri who has a hulling location close to me in Ohio.

It looks like they will go at about $10 dollars for every hundred pds. Is it worth the work? That seems like a lot of work for a little money. I was wandering if anyone else harvests walnuts and if so...... who's the buyer and what kind of $ are you getting?

Jason
www.BIGSKYBOERGOATS.com

Seems to me that if you gathered and shelled 100 pounds of walnuts and sold them to the wholesaler, you'd get $10, but if you sold them for as little as $1 per pound, you'd have $100. And I bet you can get more than $1 per pound...

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
John,

You need to improve your math (or understanding of black walnuts). Start with 100 lbs of nuts in the hull. After you remove the hull you might have 40 lbs of nuts in the shell.

So if he gets $1 per pound (in the shell) he would get $40 not $100. In order to get 100 pounds of nuts in the shell he would have to start with 220 pounds of nuts in the hull.

Crack the shells and remove the meat. You might have 20 lbs of nut meat.

Those shells are mighty tough to crack.

There is only one large producer/processer left because of the economics of the market. We just ordered a nut cracker made to order and it is over $4,000. On the other hand it cracks 600 pounds an hour <G>.

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
747 Posts
BigSkyBoerGoats said:

Jason
www.BIGSKYBOERGOATS.com
i live in southern mo right now, we were just out picking up walnuts in the yard today ...
3 5 gallon buckets ......
a pickup truck load is about 800 lbs of hulled walnuts ... if you can do it in 8 hours ( that means picking over 150 lbs an hour, because of hull weight)
it would be about 10.00 a n hour, no counting gas and drive time , to get there, yes it can be done, but why??????
personally, i pick mine, and we keep em , why get paid such a tiny amount for them , then have ot go to the store in the holiday season to buy them ?

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Around here we pick on shares 50-50,50% goes to the picker after huled,and 50% goes to the owner.You pick Nuts off 600 acres of Trees in 2-3 weeks you do pretty good,but it sure is a lot of work.

big rockpile

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mike in Ohio said:
John,

You need to improve your math (or understanding of black walnuts). Start with 100 lbs of nuts in the hull. After you remove the hull you might have 40 lbs of nuts in the shell.
Well, it's mostly just pecans around here...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jason,

If you are talking about Hammons, look a little closer. The price they are paying is after the hulls are removed.

DW and I have invested in a nut huller and have a cracker on order. This year we are starting with just our own nuts and possibly those from a few neighbors walnut groves. We plan on expanding by doing something similar to Hammons but on a smaller scale. The nearest of their buying stations is Mansfield.

We will sell our nut meats retail just like our honey. I've already got people lined up waiting to buy.

Mike
Hi Mike. Do you still hull walnut?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dam. Does anyone do black wallnut hulling or anyone know who I can connect with? I am actually looking to buy the hulls waste.

·
Premium Member
24,262 Posts
Dam. Does anyone do black wallnut hulling or anyone know who I can connect with? I am actually looking to buy the hulls waste.
Too bad you aren't in Ohio. I just dumped a pile of hulls back in the wooded strip behind my garden. I would have been thrilled to give them away. It wasn't much, only 10 gallons of them, but you would have been welcome to them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are some big walnut processors in my area. I don't know what they do with the hulls
Normally most natural products waste will have some what of other uses. Eg banana peel can be further process to make fiber yarn for clothing finished product. Do you know their contact number? Or if you can get it for free and want to make an extra cash, I will buy it from you. Whatever ways it works. But has to be especially just the hulls (which is green and turns brown black) not the walnut inner shell (which is light tan color)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Too bad you aren't in Ohio. I just dumped a pile of hulls back in the wooded strip behind my garden. I would have been thrilled to give them away. It wasn't much, only 10 gallons of them, but you would have been welcome to them.
Danaus, I am really Mad at you for doing this. Lol
Well missed it. When you think you will have them again?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Normally most natural products waste will have some what of other uses. Eg banana peel can be further process to make fiber yarn for clothing finished product. Do you know their contact number? Or if you can get it for free and want to make an extra cash, I will buy it from you. Whatever ways it works. But has to be especially just the hulls (which is green and turns brown black) not the walnut inner shell (which is light tan color)
I'm not really interested in doing the leg work and getting you phone numbers and such. Look into the central valley walnut processors though. There are large processing facilities here

1 - 20 of 22 Posts