Hartford Auto Insurance - ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, May 29, 2005.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Does anyone here have any experience with The Hartford for auto insurance? I just got a quote from them which runs almost $300/yr less than my current insurance, and I'd love to change if they're an okay co.

Anyone have bad experience with them? Good? Comments?

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Call Geico first. Seriously.

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Really! Geico gave me a horrible quote a couple of years ago - I was stunned, it was like twice what I pay now.

But I also just found out (this will teach me not to read my mail :haha: ) that my present insurer hiked my rates because of a new state law that requires X amount of coverage for liability. But they also told me how to get my rates back down.

So ... I'm going to see what I can work out with my present insurer. If I can't get the rates down enough, I'll check Geico again. Thanks!

4. Rod Torgeson

Rod Torgeson Well-Known Member

countrygrrrl.....I have insurance through The Hartford for my insurance on my trucks. It is through AARP. I have had it for about 7 or 8 years. No problems. But then again I have not had an accident. The only claims I have turned in is for towing, no problems there. The reason I got it is because it was cheaper then my previous insurance by probably around two or three hundred dollars. Hope this helps. Rod in Appleton, WA

5. Emily Nouvertne

Emily Nouvertne Well-Known Member

We used the Hartford for the 8 years we were in NH and had a good experience with them. We didn't have any accidents while using them though.

6. huzzyjr

huzzyjr Well-Known Member

When my father-in-law turned 60 they sent him a letter saying they could not insure him any longer. Never a ticket or accident and had been with the company over 20 years.

7. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

I recently got new auto insurance because of moving out of state. Here in Virginia and probably other places, insurance can be based on credit history and medical history. Type of car and desired coverage also impacts the rate, but those other things snuck in can raise or lower one's insurance. I personally am insured with GMAC and have not had any problems with them; but no claims either. The reps have returned calls when I needed more info and were very polite.

8. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Geico wanted me to pay $1000! That one is still funny!

We have State Farm for the cars and house. Great price. The rate goes down every year, and they helped me when a teenager sued me for $3 mil for hitting her when she turned in front of me. My good rate is with 3 accidents (not my fault) and a ticket or two.

9. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

I went from $450 yr to $194 yr by switching to Electric Ins.Co.

10. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

That's about what they quoted me! And I have a near-perfect driving record (one accident in an icy parking lot ten years ago where me and the other car backed into each other) and no tickets.

In any case, because I finally opened my mail :haha: , I now know my rates with my current insurer were hiked because of a new state law that was passed which requires people to carry higher liabilities.

But I'm assuming Hartford knew this when they gave me the good quote.

BUT ... I'm trying to paint both floors and ceilings today (floors in one area, ceilings in the other), and I go back to work tomorrow ( :waa: ), so deciding is going to have to wait. I am going to call my current insurer this week because in the letter they sent about hiked rates, they gave hints on how to bring my rates back down --- and if I can get them low enough, I'm staying with them.

If I can't get my rates any lower and unless more people have bad things to say about Hartford, I'm switching!

11. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Nastiest most vile company I ever dealt with on a claim. Took well over a year, depositions from previous owners, legal representation and such. It was long and ugly, and purely on their end. Upon discovering my ship was pulling out (military at the time), the claims agent informed me "F___ you", and it went downhill from there.

There's one insurance company I boycot, Harford.

12. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

13. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Hartford used to be pricy,dont know about now.

We did have an experience with Uhaul and an accident.They had Hartford.They were Johnnie on the spot,paid everything without question,and were more than fair(a scratched table leg,150 dollars!) 100 bucks for a squished canary! This was in the 1970s!

So expensive insurance that has no qualms about paying fast and more than fairly.
    That was our experince.

PS,might add they were like EXTREMELY liable in this case and we were VERY lucky no one was killed or even injured.

BooBoo

14. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

U haul had cut the braces on the trailer hitch to fit it onto our car.Picture a hitch pulling half off .trailer loaded with household,doing freeway speed on a 2 lane freeway.It wasnt pretty.Our car was mashed in every panel.

BooBoo