Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The final Harry Potter book goes on sale at 12:01 a.m. Saturday. Will interest in the book continue after evryone knows the ending? Will children pick up the first book, say, two years from now and start the series?

Our son probably will. His sister is a big fan of the books (hates the movies) and began reading the first book in fourth grade. She's spent the past week and a half rereading the first six books in preperation for the release of the seventh.

Do you always read books from beginning to end? I heard a program on NPR yesterday about folks who like to read the end of a book and then read it through.

How many folks will read the last chapter of the latest Harry Potter book first?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My 11 year old has read all the books and is looking forward to the last one.

I hope no one spoils the ending for him. He's good he'll read it from the beginning, no cheating for him. He's very much into doing the right and proper thing. Not that there is anything that bad about reading the ending if that's what you want. So long as you don't spoil it for others.

We ordered our copy from Amazon but got the free shipping deal so it'll come sometime next week.

DS11 has others books he's reading right now (this about the boy that I thought would never read anything except under penalty of death).

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I think it will, actually. My son loves the books, has read each of them many times over. He and I are actually going to go to one of the late night parties at Barnes and Noble. I've never taken him to one before, but figure this is the last time and he is pretty excited.

The books are really pretty good for children's lit. I find them a bit derivative, but it's probably fairly difficult to come up with much that is brand new/never done before in the fantasy genre. Now if I had read them as an eight year old I would have absolutely loved them!

We are going to buy the book from Walmart, it's cheaper than anywhere else, so I'm going to have to suspend my principles temporarily. DS has one friend that ALWAYS tells him spoilers, I advised him to not take any phone calls from this kid until he finishes the book, lol. He's planning to knock it out in three or four days, so maybe he will make it this time.

hollym

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
My son (who will be 20 at the end of the month) and I both can not wait until the new book comes out. He works at Wal Mart on the night shift and will be there to buy the book when it goes on sale at midnight. I credit the Harry Potter series with instilling the love to read in my son. He's always reading. We both love the fantasy genre.

I hope, too, that nobody ruins the ending for those of us anxiously awaiting the final book. The New York Times and The Baltimore Sun both have posted reviews of the final book and J.K. Rowlings is furious, as she has a right to be. I'm staying away from any internet sight that has anything to do with Harry Potter so nothing sneaks up on me. Been waiting along time for this last book. Just another day and a half to go!!! :wizard:

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,692 Posts
Oggie said:
The final Harry Potter book goes on sale at 12:01 a.m. Saturday. Will interest in the book continue after evryone knows the ending? Will children pick up the first book, say, two years from now and start the series?

Our son probably will. His sister is a big fan of the books (hates the movies) and began reading the first book in fourth grade. She's spent the past week and a half rereading the first six books in preperation for the release of the seventh.

Do you always read books from beginning to end? I heard a program on NPR yesterday about folks who like to read the end of a book and then read it through.

How many folks will read the last chapter of the latest Harry Potter book first?
My daughter and her friends are potter children too - 4th grade when the first book came out. She turns 18 tomorrow so I do not have to hang at the bookstore with her that night :) (and not just from me). She and one other girl in the group are the most diehards. They not only reread books 1 through 6 but took notes. Then as they read the last book, they will continue their journal entries (both of my daughters do journals but older one is much more into it) as they read the last book. A true potter-phile won't read the end first. The last book caused some tears but we only saw them during a food break, otherwise she holes up in her room till done. This time will be no different. She and her friend dressed up when they attended this last movie.
Now that all the books are out, I'll read them LOL!!

·
just me
1,770 Posts
I have to work over the weekend hopefully my roommate will pick up her copy and have it read before I come home Monday morning.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
I will read the final book, but NOT look at the ending.I wish people would NOT tell the ending and spoil it for those of us who don't peek.I've read all the others and can't wait to read the new one.Haven't seen all the movies yet.My granddaughters have also read all the others AND have probably seen the movies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Having just returned from seeing the movie, and being in the middle of re-reading the same book, I enjoy the books so much better than the movie. I find the movies interesting but they do not hold me like the books do. There is a special detail that is missing in the movie.

I will probably buy the hardbound version of the last book but I will wait until the energy dies down just a bit. I can wait a couple of weeks to get it.

I have re-read the 6th book in preparation.. the story line in fresh in my mind.

So, I do think it will hold on.... it may fade but then someone will pick them up again it will be like a new finding - for the next generation.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
jerzeygurl said:
cant wait

we are all rereading the others

went to see movie #5 umbridge was excellent( tho a bit too pretty) but great acting on her part uhem hem
We went to see the movie on Monday, Loved it!
the character of Delores Umbridge was the new character I was worried about, as to how she would be portrayed. Along with jerzeygurl, I think appearance wise was the only part really different from the book. the actress played the character very well. so nasty nice!

·
Registered
31,750 Posts
charliesbugs said:
I will read the final book, but NOT look at the ending.I wish people would NOT tell the ending and spoil it for those of us who don't peek.I've read all the others and can't wait to read the new one.Haven't seen all the movies yet.My granddaughters have also read all the others AND have probably seen the movies.
I DIE in the end.

:/

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I haven't read any of them yet. I did see one of the movies on TV one night... which one I have no idea.. Sirus Prime was the "bad" guy and there was a flying horse/unicorn/dragon thing out in the woods?

Anyways, I will eventually read them all, no kids here, so I've got some time. I'm actually kinda waiting for the boxed set to come out.... much more interested in a box set of paperbacks because the stories sure do seem to be well liked and read and I've always intended to read them all, just haven't got to it yet.

·
mean people suck
2,533 Posts
My sister apparently found a link on wwtdd.com where someone got a copy of the book and photographed every single page. She downloaded all of them and is actually able to read the book. The link has since been taken down but she said they are frantically trying to figure out whose hand is in the pics so they can prosecute LOL She has already read the end and told my 15yo but I am waiting for the book to come out:)

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
We have all read the books here. We are going to get the new book at 12:01 Friday as we have never done that. And yes, I am going to the back of the book to see who lives and who dies. So....who do you all think she will kill off? My bets are on Voldemort and Neville Longbottom. Also, we all don't think that Serius is actually dead, and I'm wondering about Dumbledore.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I think it will be Voldemort and Snape that will die. I really didn't want to believe that Sirius and Dumbledore died and I thought for a long time that they would come back somehow, but now I don't. Hope I'm wrong, though. :wizard:

·
woolgathering
2,600 Posts
i really think dumbledore may come back the phoenix thing and all...

the movie portrayal of sirius's death i think makes it more final ( i assume they are making the movies with the last ones ending in mind)

i think snape makes good somehow. he and dumbledore already expected malfoy's attempt

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.