harebrained idea?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Tabitha, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

It is just my husband and I on this place, so how many pigs do I need.... right.
    After working all afternoon clearing land yesterday I know I just need some pigs to help me.
    My idea, I know several people who do not keep animals, would it be more trouble than it is worth to offer that I would keep a pig for them? they pay for the piglet and the feed etc and get to take it to the butcher ones it is grown, and I get to keep it on my premises and have the benefit of the pig clearing land (and manuring it). It should not be much more work to feed several pigs as compared to just one. The idea sounds good to me, but there may be some drawbacks that I am unaware of. Grateful for all of your good advice :)

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

The first idea of using pigs to clear land can be good provided you have a secure perimeter fence to keep them where you want them.
    The second idea, IMO, would be too good for people who funded pigs, and not good at all for you. You will be doing the watering, doctoring, fencing, and moving and loading of the pigs.
    I would just start small with as many pigs as you can afford to own yourself, then sell resulting butcher hogs direct to other folks(after you fill your own freezer!). Good luck.

3. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Up North is right! Keep a good fence, raise as many as you can afford - then SELL them. My son is raising an 'extra' piglet for $$ - they go from $3.50 to $5.00 lb here. Ours are milk fed - but pastured pork, like it sounds like you'd be raising, eating a lot of wild food - should have a market. Keeping for others - is a favor to them - not a favor to you.

niki

4. HobbyfarmingMO

HobbyfarmingMO Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "milk-fed" pigs. Sounds interesting, can you tell me a little about it. I've done mine in the past just with corn ... no grower feed. Keeping it as natural as I can ... in my own understanding anyway.