hardy kiwi

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by bonnie lass, Jan 3, 2005.

1. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

I just ordered a male and female plant from Mellingers.com, they are going out of business and the plants are 40% off. I'm looking for advice, does anyone have any experience with actinidia arguta??

2. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Howdy
    I can't offer much practical advice but I can attest to the fact that they are hardy. I have a male and a female that have been in the ground here in zone 3/(4 on a good day). Every year they get an early and robust start then get knocked back by frost or freezes that typically occur until mid-June. After that they poke around the rest of the year. I doubt that I'll see fruit from them at this rate but it's a pleasant surprise each year to see them come back. Good luck with yours.

3. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Glad to hear that :D . A local (zone 6) friend told me that hers died last winter, so I was a little apprehensive. Thanks!!

4. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

I planted a male and a female several years ago. One died the other is doing fine against the house. No fruit, I am in zone 6 (southern Ohio).

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Sorry to hear Mellinger's is closing up shop, I ordered from them a few years ago and was pleased with their stock.

I have 3 hardy kiwi vines here -- sorry, not sure of the exact species -- they were planted by the original homesteader about 20 years ago. We are in zone 4, so they are pretty hardy.

Strangely, they never fruited for her ... they only started bearing in 2001, the year after we moved in! Since then, the number of kiwis has increased steadily. They are quite tasty, although different from storebought kiwis. They're smaller, non-furry and the skins are edible. The flavor is more sweet than tart ... actually preferable to the tropical kind IMO!

I have never tried preserving them, but think they probably could be frozen.

Be forewarned that the vines will get VERY large and grow as much as 6-8 feet per year! They are twining vines and also will 'sucker' and stick to walls. Give some careful thought to placement and support at the outset.

Mine grows up and over a pergola on our deck ... usually it is plastered to the side of the house, too, but in this picture we had recently trimmed it back in order to paint the house:

[​IMG]

6. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Ahhhhh, nice picture :D

7. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Why thank you! :)

Here is another (better) picture I found after digging around a bit:

[​IMG]

BTW Cora (original owner) said it took quite a few years for the vines to really get going ... so be patient! :D

They are so thick now that in the summertime you can sit under the pergola when it's raining, and not get wet!

8. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I can't give much advice, I've managed to kill 4 already! :D

9. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Pergola.....just added it to the honey-do list :)

10. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Oh, yes, a pergola is a must-have on any farm! ;)

:haha:

11. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Er, not quite on the farm yet, but I must say that the landlord has been remarkably tolerant of all my "improvements" :no:

12. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I'm sure he would be delighted to see the addition of a pergola ... :worship:

(Tell me, why didn't I ever have a tenant like you when I was a landlord?!)

13. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Kiwis arrived yesterday, boy are they small. I wonder how long it will take to get fruit :no:

14. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Well according to Cora, it took ours about 15 years ... :eek:

Be patient, though! When you are having to prune back a monster vine, you'll laugh remembering how small they were ... (my husband jokes that if you sit too long on the deck in one spot, the kiwi vine will wrap itself around you!)

15. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Willow girl,
    Are they in the shade or sun? What is a pergola? Never heard the term.
    Thanks

16. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

In Michigan you probably have Actinidia kolomitka, or "Arctic Beauty".