Hardiness Zones---SEED Catalog WATCHDOG

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tallpines, Apr 1, 2005.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

3. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I can get to the site but my state won't open for me.

I have an unfortunate combination........old eyes AND old computer. :rolleyes:

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

5. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

I know that feeling, if my eyes were a bit better I could see to replace the weaker tubes in my computer! :)

OK Yankee and gundog10 like this.
  6. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

7. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

I found some apparent hardiness-zone errors in a certain well-known nursery catalog, and wrote a letter to kindly point out the errors to them.

8. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

9. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Look up your Hardiness Zone!

ELKINS, AR

Your arborday.org hardiness zone: 7
    (look up another zip code)

Thats not true! I believe I am in zone 5 and a half as I am 20 min east of elkins and the elevation is a little higher it gets down to 0 sometimes during the winter.

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I checked it out with the first site and it is accurate says I am zone 6 and coldest temps are 0-5

11. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

The National Arbor Day Foundation has just released a new hardiness zone map after a 15 year climate study according to newspaper sources.

Most of Kansas is now rated as zone 6 with a few spots along the southern edge in zone 7.

As state advisers declare--use caution as 15 years is not a long period when it comes to weather.

12. crafty2002

crafty2002 Well-Known Member

This is something I have asked about and never gotten an answer I thought was right.
    What zone do I live in? I live center of the Va., N.C. state line.
    I have looked at charts and got anywhere from 5 to 9. I have looked at seed packets and got from 2 to 7.
    I just looked at one of the sites below, where you put in the zip code and it said 7-8.
    24541, which is it? 7 or 8, or 2 or 3 or 9 or whatever.
    Who's chart doest everyone go by?? :shrug:
    It doesn't really matter because I think everyone knows when you can plant or not but someone is getting paid for something aren't doing right and we are paying them for no reason. :shrug:

13. crafty2002

I checked out this site and it says 7-8 for my zip code. Which is it. 7 or 8?? :shrug:

And is there another chart that shows different scales which isn't a "Hardiness Zone"

I have had seeds that showed where I live is between 5 and 9 on the back of the packets. :help:

Confusus say I confussed. Can someone explain this mess to me? :help:

God Bless
    Dennis

14. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

I'll tell you my experience, if you take it with a grain of salt. Mine says 8-9. After a few years, the way I interpret that is this, my mother (10ish miles away, same zipcode) is in zone 8. She has earlier frost and colder temperatures. I (being southwest of her, and also in a valley that leads to the coast) am in zone 9. It's all about your microclimate out here, because of the way the mountains and valleys and creeks lay. It's kind of an experiment to find out where you actually are. If a seed packet or plant says "hardy to zone 9" it's a crap shoot for me, because I'm right on the edge of 8. Depends on the winter, and also on the location of the plant in the garden or yard. Am I making any sense at all, cause it sounds rambly....but as I said, grain of salt, please!

15. crafty2002

Thanks Cara, someone finally made sense to me about that. :hobbyhors

16. e.alleg

e.alleg Well-Known Member

Zone charts are a guide, be careful with depending in them. I am listed as zone 5 based on my zip code, reality is I am zone 4a because I live 1/2 mile above sea level. There is a 10 degree difference between the village and my house, partly due to lack of asphalt and partly due to the elevation. I suggest looking to see what is growing and more importantly what isn't growing. No peaches in my neighborhood, I planted some zone 5 hardy trees and they died, most of my roses died and some plants I bought in the city didn't make it either :Bawling: Good news is the pine trees I transplanted from the forest are doing well. In NY the Cornell cooperative extension is very helpful for gardeners, they have charts fro highest temperature zones as well as lowest temps, some plants need so many days above 80 degrees to flourish.

17. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Below is an interactive map of Canada.

Oh Canada

Alex

18. jedsmom

jedsmom Well-Known Member

Yay Canada! Thanks!

19. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Considering this thread has been here for three years, I'm surprised that this hasn't already been mentioned, but if you are in the West, the Sunset gardening zones are much more accurate than the USDA ones. You can find fairly detailed maps in the Sunset Western Gardening book (which is well worth having, but you should be able to find a used copy fairly inexpensively), and they also have a website. The Sunset zones take elevation and such into account, which the USDA zones don't. And the Sunset zones are designed to help gardeners decide if things will grow in their climate, not just know what the average minimum temperature is in their area.

Kathleen

20. Pioneerliving

Pioneerliving New Member

This is a little more detailed information in alphabetical order by state and city to help you with how long your growing season is for your area.

http://www.pioneerliving.net/uszonemap.htm

Almost time to condition your soil and get your seeds in the ground!