Harder & harder to homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rob30, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard news that makes homesteading in Ontario more difficult.
    First wood stoves. I heat with wood and my house insurance is at a premium to prove it. I talked to guy this week with no house insurance because the company wanted him to remove his wood cookstove.
    Also I have heard one community in Ontario is thinking of putting water meters on private wells. They want to make sure the rural people pay for their water. Soon I can see an O2 meter so they can tax breathing.
    I can see an end to the homesteading lifestyle in the next generation. Becauise the average homesteader won't be able to afford it.
    So much for a 'free' country.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If the wood stoves would pass a WETT certified inspection your insurance shouldn't be an issue. We have wood stoves and they do not affect the premium we pay. I've heard of the taxing water thing before it's very unlikely to happen, as the gov. would then be responcible for maintaining wells and septic systems. Water charges in urban centers is supposed to be revenue neutral by law so any metering/taxing of water is to maintain the supply system. Still vigilance and getting involved in community affairs like this is part of life.

3. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you get an older stove certified? What is involved?
    As far as the water meters, I can not see the government being able to enforce it, but the fact they are considering it is a sign of the way our society is moving.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I really do not know what is involved in certifying a non approved stove but a WETT certified inspector can for sure. My neighbor has one installed and certified. Rob there's been idle talk of taxing well water for decades. It's the rural boogie monster, local politicians use to scare us into not watching their other hand raise taxes or slash services. If the Urban water system worked even half as well as it was supposed to (monetarily) they might have a chance of implementing rural metering but as city water service charges are as bent as a snake rail fence and nobody wants people to see that; I doubt we'll see rural water meters in my lifetime.

5. cheapskate

cheapskate Cheap but not free

A neighbor of ours was given 30 days by ,his insurance company, to get rid of his dog because it was on a list of vicious breeds. It was a St. Bernard. Didn't matter that the dog was 7 years old and was as nice a dog as I have ever been around. The only choice given by the insurance company. Get rid of him or lose your coverage. They also gave him the same ultimatum about the trampoline his kids had.

6. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

When you take a hard look at it you will be amazed to discover the many ways that Insurance Companies have an impact on our lives.

Farm Insurance has gone through the roof! In order to keep our horses on our farm I was forced to get Insurance that will pay for injury if some dolt goes into the pasture with the horses and also if the horses get into the road. :flame: :flame:

ps.....My horse pasture is a half-mile from the nearest road........grrrrrrr.

7. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Time for a new insurance company. That's just nuts but look at how intrusive insurance companies are in the health field. I can't get my prescription of Nexxium filled unless I'm down to the last two pills. Insurance companies are over the top these days.

8. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I am an insurance inspector and there is no problem with a trampoline as long as it is fenced and the gate is locked. As for dangerous breeds, where I work a St. Bernard is not one of them, just the ones who have a bad reputation for bites (Pitbull, Doberman, Rottweiler, Chow, German Shepherd). Don't blame the insurance company, they are just trying to keep their liability down. Blame the people who put in insurance claims. They are the ones that increase the premiums and make the rules tougher for everyone.

donsgal

9. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Unfortunately there are a LOT of really stupid people in the world who insist on burning down their houses because they cannot figure out how to deal with a wood heat or cooking stove. The insurance company is simply trying to limit their exposure.

Your friend could always make the kitchen a separate building which is what they did for centuries in the past, just to avoid burning the whole house down when the kitchen caught on fire. It's an excellent solution and has the added benefit of keeping the main house cooler in the summer months. You can also install an outdoor wood heater which does not increase your premium according to the information I have.

donsgal

10. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Missouri is talking about meters on private water wells, at this time its in the talking stages, but i did see it mentioned in the paper. and several years Farm Bureau insurance co. refused to write insurance on our farm, because we had a dog--said it didnt matter the breed, as long as we had a dog, they wouldnt insure us. Imagine--a "farm" insurance co!