Hard Wheat?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Chuck, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

Someone gave us a can of hard red wheat. I don't know what to do with it! Does anyone have some good suggestions for how to prepare the stuff?

Thanks,

Chuck

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I used to soak the wheat berries in water for a few hours, then crack them in a blender. Then, I made cracked wheat bread.

Now that Hy-Vee has wheat grinders, I make it easy on myself and grind wheat berries into flour, instead.

3. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Yes Chuck. That is the best wheat for flour. Get yourself a grinder and make some wonderful bread with it. :) That is exactly what it is grown for.

4. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

The primary use of Hard Red Winter Wheat "Flour" is for bread making. It makes a great yeast bread. HRWW is part of our long term food storage.
    We grind into flour for breads mostly.
    It can also be sprouted and used in salads.
    Cooked wheat:
    Soak 2 cups wheat over night in water and then drain(will double in volume), then add wheat to about 6 cups boiling water (can also use broth or add bullion) and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours. For breakfast serve with butter, top with fruit, honey, brown sugar etc..The cooked wheat can also be added to soups & stews and such.
    HTH
    Bill

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Put some wheat berries in a themos before you go to bed at night. Fill the remainder of the thermos with boiling water (do not screw the plug on very tight!)

The next morning the wheatberries should be cooked and soft. If they are not, boil them for awhile longer on the stove.

Eat the cooked wheat as a cereal....with milk (or cream) and maple syrup (or brown sugar). Kinda nutty and chewy...I love it!

enjoy

6. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Chuck,
    Since you only have one can (I presume a #10 can) and don't have a lot of experience using wheat, a simple solution is to use it in home-cooked soups and stews much like using pearl barley. I don't remember the cook time, but remember, it should go in with the longer cooking items such as dried beans, dried peas, etc, and with not fresh and frozen quick cook time things such as corn, peas, etc. You may need to experiment a little with cook times (try boiling some to get the cook time for the texture you prefer). You may make up wheat berries ahead of time to add to quick soups and stews.

You may also try your hand at sprouting and throwing them into your cooking.

You may also check the web site www.providentliving.org to look for ideas as well as other web sites that promote food storage.

Dale (DH of Mary, TX)

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

We Kansans thank you for consuming this product once you do.

In addition to the other uses mentioned, you can parch it to make wheat nuts similar to "Corn Nuts". Different salts or flavors give different taste treats.

You can also toss a small amount of wheat into your mouth, wait awhile for it to soak some, then beginning chewing it. Spit out the bran, i.e. skin like hulls, and soon you will have some homemade chewing gum. Continue to spit out the shorts (ends) and you'll wind up with a smooth blob similar to some old time flavorless chewing gum. Well maybe a little flavor of grasshopper legs since they probably went through the combine with the wheat.

If you should choose not to eat it it will also make some excellent cover crop for your garden.

As Cabin Fever said to do, cooking it for breakfast is a treat. You can use a slow cooker if you don't mind leaving it on overnight. Be sure to use plenty of water as it absorbs a lot.

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I finally quit growing wheat (HRSW here) in southern Minnesota - either no yield or no protien, & I lose $$$ either way. Oats I know isn't worth anything, but at least I get some yield. :)

But, you bring back memories of taking a few kennals out of the hopper & chewing them down - grab a few more, and see how much 'gum' I could get. All the while watching the hoppers. :)

--->Paul

9. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Try "blender" pancakes.

2/3 c. whole wheat berries
    1 c. water
    2 large eggs
    2 T. melted butter
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 T. honey
    1/2 c. powdered instant non-fat milk
    1 1/2 tsp. double acting baking powder

1. The night before, soak the wheat berries in water. Do not drain them (I do this right in the blender)
    2. In the morning, add the eggs, butter, salt and honey.
    3. Porcess at blend or grind until the batter is smooth. You may have to scrape down the sides of the blender container with a rubber spatula to be sure that all of the wheat berries aare ground into the batter.
    4. When it is smooth and creamy in appearance, add gradually, while blending, the milk and baking powder.
    5. When the milk and baking powder are thoroughly incorporated, turn the blender off and let the batter stand for 20 to 30 minutes before baking the pancakes.
    6. Pour the batter from the blender onto a hot seasoned griddle. Bake until the tops are well-bubbled and the sides are dry, about 1 1/2 minutes. Flip and bake until the undersides are well-browned, about 45 seconds to 1 minute more.

Serves 2-3...........so when the grands are here I double or triple it.

This is from "Whole Grain Baking" by Diana Scesny Greene......one of my favorite whole grain books.