Hard lump on chest

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Paso, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Paso

Paso Well-Known Member

I sold one of my goats at auction because it had a lump on the chest I didnt like the looks of it. But now there is another one of the goats starting to look the same. What could it be!!!! Everyone seems so healthy and happy... Thanks for the help.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Alot of them develop a callous where their chest hits the ground when they lay down. Its normal so long as is not cracked bleeding or infected.

3. Paso

Paso Well-Known Member

I don't think its a calous I have seen that. This goat is about 2 years old and has been on a soft soil. Its more in front of her chest.

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

could you describe this lump a little bit more? it is hard to tell what it could be with this little info.
    what kind of breed are your goats and are they tested for cae and cl?
    susanne

5. Paso

Paso Well-Known Member

My goats are of mixed breed they have not been tested. But from what I have read there isnt much I can do if it is that. No cure. It is a hard lump the position is right between her front legs towards the top of the chest. Im sorry if I havent described it well thats about the only way I know how.

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The chest on a goat is the brisket. It has lymph nodes that go down each side, so CL abscess appear in the brisket, lots of times undetected because of hair during the winter. Now that you have another abscess in the same exact spot, I would say you have had an abscess burst on your place, the exude is wiped or rubbed on a feeder (wooden) and infects the next goat. It's pretty typical for one CL infected goat to infect the rest of the heard, especially if they all eat out of the same areas, fences that they rub on, feeders that they put their heads through, or areas they put their heads over. Vicki

7. Paso

Paso Well-Known Member

So what shall I do :waa: Do I need to get rid of all my goats !!!! I dont remember seeing anything burst open on any of my goats. But could it have been on my property prior to me moving here? I feel so terrible right now knowing I dont have any options :waa: