Harbor Freight chain sharpeners

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Countrybumpkin, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

Anyone out there own one of these? Getting sick of paying to sharpen all the chains I go through. I friend just bought one, and says its all plastic, except for the chain guide...wondering if the thing will break after a few months of use! The price is good, but not if it doesn't last!

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Can't speak to Harbor Freight's sharpener, but my Oregon 12 volt electric chain sharpener is nigh on 20 years old and still does a great job! It is made of plastic except the chain guide. On top of that it has beat around in my truck all those years.

Sure wish I could eventually learn to properly sharpen a saw with a simple file.

3. srj

srj Member

here ya go bare , http://www.oregonchain.com/faq.htm

Country i too used to pay someone to sharpen them, maybe get 3 sharpenings & the chain's shot , sorry i have no opinion on the sharpenner in queston , i've been doing it myself following the instuctions in the link by file ,maybe 10 -15 min's on a 18" bar

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I bought a 110v one off eBay (NICK the GRINDER) and absolutely love it. I use a chain until it starts to get dull and then put on a sharpened one. When I have 4-6 backed up I sharpen them all. VERY easy to use. Neighbor has a small engine shop on his farm and hand-sharpened chains. I loaned him mine and he quickly ordered one for himself. You can take off only as much of each tooth as needed.

Neighbor mounted his on an bracket which fits into a holder on his door jam. Holds it at the right height for him to use standing up. When done, it is just lifted off and stored. Neat set-up.

As mentioned above, if you take it into most commercial shops you will only get 3-4 sharpening before they have used all all off the tooth.

Ken Scharabok

5. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Harbor Freight has their (Chicago Electric) chainsaw sharpener on sale this week for $49.99. Wondering if anyone has one of these and, if so, what they think of the unit.

6. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

I bought the Hartbor Freight chain sharpener last year and I have had no problem sharpening my chains with it. It would probably not do good in a comercial setting, but for home use, it is just fine. Later Travis

7. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

8. Madsaw

Madsaw Well-Known Member

I went with one from NorthernTool. It s copy of the Oergon 511. Nice setup and is made out of metal too. I have seen them listed at 99 but on sale from time to time for89. Well worth the cost. Its full adjustable also.
    Bob

9. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

The guys at arboristsite.com prefer the Northern Tool sharpener to the Harbor Freight one. It's more expensive but apparantely higher quality.

10. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Thansk everyone. I'm on the Harbor Freight mailing list so I get the 10-15% off coupons every now & again. Think the HF unit might work out for what I need and to sharpen the occasional chain for my Dad.

11. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

i have it i got it on sale for 29.99

save your time and money buy the proper size stihl file folder guide kit for 24
    sharpen it on the saw with the bar in a vise

i sharpen every tank of gas just 2-3 strokes on each cutter does it
    and i can get 30-40 or more sharpenings on a chain

wih the harbor feight grinder it wanted to make them all even and took to much off maybe would have done 10 sharpenings on a chain and to much time i can have the chain sharp with a file in the time it takes to get it off and on the saw and be back to cutting

it might be ok to re grind the chain if you think it is real messed up but even after hitting concrete i was able to get it with the file just fine

when the chips get small file the rakers down with the gauge and file in the kit

12. columbia,sc

columbia,sc Thats Strawberry, my girl

A country boy can survive! Hank Williams JR
    I agree with you 100% you sound kinda like me, I do it almost the same way, I do it on the wood bed of my 1 ton truck with a gloved hand, it takes about 5 -10 mins tops, every tank full.
    I just need a quality bar for my Husky after about 30 or so re-fills my bar has to much 'play' in it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  13. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

I owned an Oregon chainsaw sharpener. It did a great job. You still have to keep it adjusted and watch what you are doing. I never could get the hang of the tind of sharpener that attaches to the chainswaw bar.

I bought a cheap Harbor Freight chainsaw chain sharpener for a friend. It works about the same as the Oregon model, EXCEPT:
    you can't adjust the angle on the back, but I always use the same angle, so for me that wasn't a problem.
    the plastic frame flexes as you use it, throwing off its acuracy. Takes more careful observation when using it. You have to really watch that you grind the same amount off each tooth. A little extra pressure will result in deeper grinding, sometimes too much.

The $300 Oregon sharpener is better. The Harbor Freight sharpener is better than a round file. I guess you get what you pay for.

14. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Thanks for the feedback. I only need to sharpen ~5 times a year which isn't too bad except I always seem to put it off until I'm out of sharp chains. Can't justify the $300 unit but thinking I could justify $30-40 if it means having a spare chain or two ready for use. The folks always get me a gift card for HF so this might be this year's christmas gift from them.

15. Auric

Auric Registered Doofus

Pete and I got our HF sharpeners at the same time and I would agree with everything he stated. Mine now just sits gathering dust, as I find it quicker and better to use the file on the chain, with the saw's bar locked in my vise's jaws.

16. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I've got one, it's nothing to be proud of. It will sharpen a chain but it isn't what you would call a precision instrument. I always sharpened with a file but bad wrists and hands make it tough. I use stones on my Dremel instead of a file and that works great for me for quick touch ups.

17. Quercus21

Quercus21 Well-Known Member

I have been sharpening by hand for the last 30+ years. It's a skill you should learn. It's not hard, you just have to be consistent with each number pushes, the pressure you apply to each tooth and the angles. The only time I'll take a grinder to a chain, is to make it a ripping chain. I have sharpen everything from 16" to 48" bars. When you learn to do it with a file, you'll be able to do it out in the field.