Happy

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by coalroadcabin, Jul 27, 2006.

1. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Well, they poured the basement walls yesterday. It looked like a military operation-they brought two crews in so there were workmen climbing all over the place, then 5 concrete trucks lined up next to the pumper truck, when one emptied, it pulled out and the next one in line started filling the pumper. We'll see how well they did when they pull the forms off.

One step closer to our dream! Next step, waterproofing. I get to play with that ooey gooey black stuff.......fun :D Anybody got any tips for putting that stuff on the walls without getting it all over you ?

2. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

If you're building on that looonnnnggg Coal Road that I remember, I'll bet all those truck drivers thought, "Man, are we EVER going to get there!!!" Congratulations on getting started! I know y'all are excited.

3. coalroadcabin

4. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Why don't they have a tar truck? If they are doing formed walls you would think that they would finish the job. Find some rags to wear and use a sprayer that you don't want to keep and find a way to warm up the tar.

Do you think that you could add some diesel to thin it some? Would that work?

5. coalroadcabin

The foundation contractor does a waterproofing system with a 25 year guarantee, but I' prefer to save money by doing what we can ourselves - plus I really don't think the guarantee is worth almost 4 grand.

6. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Wow! :eek:

7. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Put your hair up, if it's long!

8. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

look up "thoroseal" on line. It is a cement based waterproofing that is affordable and really works. It goes on like whitewash and really waterproofs. In my humble experience, tar is better than nothing, but not by much. Thoroseal is also usable on water tanks, swimming pools and cisterns, so it can keep water in, or out, depending on your preference.