Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the above tonight. I was listening to the news, so much killing and hate in the world. Happy that my family is settled in their homes, have wonderful spouses and are happy too.
Thankful for family and farm. Thankful that our farm plan is working for us. Thankful that we sold out all the lambs and kids again this year, AND all doelings and ewe lambs are spoken for in 2015. Granted we only have three (Nubian) does but they are exceptional. We only have 6 ewes ( 4 katahdin/Dorper and two East Friesian) BUT they are NICE. Three ram lambs will go to repeat customers and two for us (I hope). I sell the best bucklings for breeding and the rest for meat.
I could have raised and sold more broiler birds but we are at our "saturation point" for quality care and pasture rotation. I also have a horse and 36 year old fantastic pony!
Gave up the rabbit raising this fall, 36 years of raising and butchering but not cost effective now.
Anyone else redoing their plans and evaluating their future? I think we have it about perfect for the two of us at this point in our lives....both 66 yrs old. Hubby still works full time and I nanny afternoons. Both of us still grooming dogs and boarding in our home.
Built our retirement home 9 years ago, passive solor and earth wrapped. Barn wood shed and greenhouse. Orchard put in starting in 2002 and 31 acres for hunting. We work hard BUT thankful we can and happy to do so.

Attachments

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,911 Posts
Lovely place!

I think there has always been plenty of misery and evil in the world, but it wasn't until modern times it was put in your face all the time.

Reactions: OK Yankee

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
What a wonderful post! Your place is fabulous! You asked if any are redoing plans, yes! It seems an ongoing process. Overall, just keep adding as many self-sufficient "areas" as we go. It's an ever-changing thing that's for sure. I suddenly (years ago), couldn't eat any dairy, so those two dairy goats are living out their lives as fat happy pets (they are family to us, would never get rid of them).

It's tough where we are to raise larger animals for food, as we are in the desert, feed prices are astronomical in our area, and we don't have enough land to grow the feed (or, the water either I would imagine). But chickens, gardens, oh yes! May get into rabbits at some point. Did quail years back, and wanted to get into that again too (for meat).

Your animals sure look happy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts