Happy Dance of Garden Expansion JOY!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Pony, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

:dance:

DH, ever-supportive and loving and helpful in the garden, procured some cedar 6x6's for the yard. He asked me if I would like to expand the garden. Didn't take me more than 2 seconds to reply "YES!!!"

Yesterday, he took those 6x6's and laid out the new garden area. It will more than double my vegetable gardening space! (At this point, I have 16 4'x4' raised beds.) :dance:

Now I am trying to decide if I want to continue with the 4x4 beds, or if I should make some longer beds, or narrower beds, or.... :shrug:

Ah, the fun and absolute joy of planning MORE GARDEN!!

Hm. I better find some more canning jars, too! :hobbyhors

Any and all suggestions, comments, hints, and experiences welcomed! :help:

Pony!

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    The advantage of 4 x 4 beds is that you can reach the plants in the middle without having to step on your nicely prepared, tilled dirt.

3. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

If I had 6 foot boards I would make the beds 3x6. So I wouldn't waste any of the wood. Make sense? Makes sense to me!! :)

4. Pony

I really do like the 4x4's for the convenience, and I've been using them for 6 or 7 years now, but it's getting harder to reach the middle as I approach the big 5-0.

The 3x6 sounds interesting. Essentially the same square footage, easier to reach the middle, and I can get around them. Wonder how 3x8 would work...

Thanks for the ideas!

Keep 'em comin'!

Pony!

5. suburbanite

Depending on the space you have, you may be able to figure out a way to do a sort of maze with the 6 x 6's, such that you minimize cuts to the wood, but the thickness of the planted areas ranges from 2 to 4 feet.

Start off with a 6 foot length.

Four feet away and parallel, set another 6 foot length, offset by 2 feet.

Perpendicular to this, put a 6 foot length pointed in the direction of the original board.

Now put another 6 foot length perpendicular to the original board and meeting it at a right angle

At this point you'd have something kind of like this (I had to use 2 vertical lines to mean one board for the verticals in the drawing):

.|
    ||____
    |____

I think with just the occasional 2 foot or 4 foot board thrown in there you could make some interesting kind of 'knot garden' with 2 and 4 foot wide planted and unplanted areas.

Actually come to think of it you could do the same thing with a 3 foot offset and have all the dimensions involved be multiples of 3 feet and the thickness of all features be 3 feet. Duh.

6. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I like SquashNut's idea - make the beds based on the length of your 6x6 boards.

I've read that beds should only be 8' long at the most because it gets so tedious to walk to the end and around. My beds are 25 to 30' long and I don't mind walking around at all.

I think I'd go with 3' wide beds - I know what you mean about that reach and the big... well.... you know.

7. Pony

Oh, now I get it... I'm so sorry!! I wasn't clear enough. {smacking forehead} D'oh! I must have been so giddy with joy, I completely derailed my train of thought and didn't complete what I was saying. SORRY!! :shrug:

The timbers are 6"x6". Most are about 10' long, but we just used those to mark off the garden area. I can make the beds any length I want using the scrap lumber in DH's stash.

But we are leaning toward 3' wide beds. Much easier to reach across.

Pony!

8. turtlehead

Yeah, with 4' wide beds you have to lean even harder. You could fall down. :p

9. suburbanite

I've got my 'square foot gardening' book right here, lets see if anything other than artichokes takes a whole 4 x 4 foot space... back in a few minutes...

looks like you can fit even zucchini in a 3 x 3 block. :)

10. Pony

{rim shot}

Oy.

I loaned my square foot gardening book out to someone, and never ever got it back, and then the person moved, and now I'll never see it again. :(

Pony!

11. turtlehead

That sucks, Pony.
    When that happens to me I tell myself that the reason the book didn't come back is because the person who has it is using it, really likes it, or is getting some other great benefit from it.

Sometimes that helps me feel better about the situation, but usually I still want to pinch their little head off.