Hanging Beef---how long?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Julia, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Julia

Julia Well-Known Member

We're getting a geriatric Holstein steer butchered next month, and I was wondering how long to let him hang after slaughter. The butcher says he lets them hang a week, but will hang the beef as long as we want. How long would get us the best flavor and texture?

Thanks all.

2. tricklecreek

tricklecreek Well-Known Member

we usually let it hang 2weeks or so, better flavor and more tender

3. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

We read recently in an article in SGF about grass-fed beef that said the meat is more tender if not chilled immediately after slaughter. I think it said to wait at least 2 hours before starting to chill. It also said govt.regulations :rolleyes: don't allow this so you'd have to discuss it with the slaughter house to see if they'd do it. From their explanation this should work with all beef, not just grass-fed.

4. working-mom

working-mom Registered Redneck Woman

We always hung ours 7-10 days in the cooler and this comes from someone whos been butchering for 40 years.

:cowboy:

5. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

If its an old steer I would guess the longer the better. When possible we hang our grass-fed beef for 21 days. There isn't a whole lot more waste than with the shorter aging times.

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Does geriatric steer mean he is really old??

7. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Might mean shoe leather! :p hehe

8. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

14 days minimum -- the longer, within reason, the more tender the beef will be.

Tracy

9. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Your description of the animal indicates to me that he may not be worth the effort of aging. To get the results that aging is capable of yeilding you need to start with an animal that has some body fat, both external and marbling. The exterior fat will reduce the shrink during the aging process, the marbling will render the flavor. I suggest that you discuss the carcass with the processor after the animal is on the meat hook. To render the most edible meat you may want to only keep the best cuts for steaks and put the balance in burger. Burger is an excellent way to prepare a questionable animal for consumption and the waste is negligible. Nearly everyone will eat burger and tenderness is not a problem once the meat is ground. I do suggest that you have the burger run through the grinder twiced to improve the blend and the texture.

10. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

28 days or until a blue mold begins to appear. BUT, an old, tough steer will NEVER be an aged, baby beef. Another trick --- let the butcher age to his preference, wrap major cuts in vacuum pack, then age in your refrig for six-weeks.

11. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a rtestaurant in the area that ages 21 days. Their steaks are tender and have that nice tangy flavor we enjoy.