Hanging a swing??

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Beeman, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I want to install a hanging swing on my porch. I've done this before and used hooks and just hooked the chain on them. I'm looking to be more high tech on this one. Anyone have a method that has a better pivot than the chain on the hook? Anything with a bearing?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Two parallel eye screws per chain, a bolt all the way through with a piece of copper or brass tubeing as the pivot point. Add a hole for oiling.

3. daeve

daeve Well-Known Member

Years ago, my dad built a swing for the front porch and first used the hooks screwed into the ceiling and hooked the chain into them. However he didn't like the squeaking it would start making just a few days after greasing them. He came in one night with a pair of "S" hooks that he had modified one side of to hold small bearings. He had opened one of the sides of the "S" enough to get a generator bearing (if memory serves though it could have been a flywheel pilot bearing) in it and then shaped it round by beating it with a hammer around a pipe or metal shaft just slightly smaller in diameter than the outside of the bearing. Once round he used a vice to press the bearings into the hooks. I don't remember if he used JB weld to help hold them or not. He had to straighten the hooks in the ceiling just a bit to get the center of the bearing to slip on them but once on the open side of the hook was still uphill of the bearing so they can't come off. The chain hooked into the other end of the "S" hook. No more squeaking!