hanging a clothes line

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got to start cutting corners everywhere I can. I used to have a clothes line at my old house before I moved and never got around to hanging one out here. I love hanging my clothes out on a nice day. Anway, I've got the clothes line, now what to do with it? I don't have the nice T posts like I had at the old house (and I mean old 1937). So I've got a few tree candidates. I opened the clothes line and it's just line. I thought there'd be some sort of attachment do-hickey. Sometimes it's amazing how much I don't know how to do.

I got a lot of things Not accomplished this weekend. I managed to NOT figure out how to change my mower blades, Couldn't figure out how to fix the mosquito magnent, couldn't open the paint bucket with mosquito pellets in it (got help on that one), couldn't get the smoke detectors hooked back into the ceiling, couldn't figure out how to tie a clothes line up. I actually said outloud in the driveway "Dang it! I can't do anything!"

But on a good note, I got all the trees around the house picked up and cleared over 2/3s of a HUGE branch pile and worked like a dog on this place this weekend.

So any tips on how to hang a clothes line, is there a certain type knot I should use?

Anyone have any tips on how to get my stupid mosquito magnent working?

2. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

If you decide to tie the line around a pair of trees, shield the bark with an inner tube or the like to keep the line from digging in. I'd tie a couple of tautline hitches on each end. Holds well under pressure, easy to tighten up, and easy to undo should you decide to move the line:

[​IMG]

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

another thing that works well is to get a hunk of 2x4 about 3 feet long. nail/screw and otherwise tie or attach that board to the tree. then using large eyebolts -screw those into the board about 4-6 inches apart. do one on both ends and you have a 8 or so line clothes line!

4. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

they do sell in hardware section (usually) the things to screw into the trees or posts to string the line to....i just tied it with a similar knot shown in the above post around the trees i chose. experiment until you get a knot that will work for you. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

5. Sparticle

yay! thanks guys! I'll be knocking this project out in no time now.

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Just a small caution, don't make it too high for yourself once its taut. And get a stick or pole you can use to prop the center up when the weight of the clothes will pull it toward the ground.

7. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have the space at all to do it, consider installing it with pulleys. Then you can stand at one spot, clothes basket on a bucket or table to raise it, and hang all the stuff very quickly and with very little back strain.

8. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

If you have a male dog make sure your laundry is out of leg lifting reach!!! Cuz he will do it. I learned that the hard way LOL I had just hung up sheets didnt really think about the dogs and he he comes sniffing around no biggie then up went the leg!! On my clean sheets!!! LOL Was maddening but funny too sheesh!!
    So now I make SURE everything is pinned up out of his reach. I also have a line on my covered deck. Its up high so I need a step ladder to pin the clothes up but hey at least I am not using that dryer on rainy days.

9. Sparticle

HEHE! I've got good boy dogs and they never marked laundry at the old house. I do like the idea of a pulley too and the stick in the middle for support!

10. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

No need for a stick in the middle with a pulley line. They make a gizmo to fit over the top and bottom line to keep it up, but I just bend a coathanger into kind of a U shape and use that.