Handy tips for the home

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Organizing' started by PlayingInDirt, Nov 5, 2017.

1. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

That’s good! I should do that for my wife.

2. MELQ

MELQ Well-Known Member

for those who put up real christmas trees, instead of trying to pour water in the base use ice cubes for less mess

3. PlayingInDirt

PlayingInDirt Well-Known Member

Genius!!

4. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

I get newspapers at the recycling center. egg cartons, plant pots ect

5. MELQ

MELQ Well-Known Member

cover the shelves in the fridge with glad press and seal wrap. just peel off and replace for easier cleaning

doozie likes this.
  6. RonM

RonM Well-Known Member

My neighbor uses newspapers to wrap most of her Christmas gifts, especially for kids as they rip into any way possible. I am going to go that route in a couple weeks..

7. MELQ

MELQ Well-Known Member

my sister in law uses the colored comics for kids presents

8. PlayingInDirt

I get so frustrated with caked on stuff after baking something for dinner. If I'm making something that is likely to stick or be messy, I'll line the pan with foil to make cleanup a breeze.

9. PlayingInDirt

I get so frustrated with caked on stuff after baking something for dinner. If I'm making something that is likely to stick or be messy, I'll line the pan with foil to make cleanup a breeze.

10. Teej

Teej Well-Known Member

Swiffer Wet Jet! I like easy these days and that's the easiest thing I've ever used to mop floors. Runs on batteries, cleaning solution is carried on board, slap on a pad, press the button to automatically spray the fluid and then wipe up. One pad will do the large eat in kitchen, utility and bathroom. However, I recently saw a doodad advertised I think by Bissell that sweeps and mops at the same time. That would be even more awesome than the Swiffer if it works.

Speaking of Swiffer they also have a sweeper/mop that you can attach either a dry cloth or wet cloth to. It was my first foray into the Swiffer brand and I was not impressed. The dry cloths don't hold onto to real dirt and the wet wouldn't stay wet enough to mop all but smaller areas like the bathroom or utility. So it sat for years with no use and I have no idea why I didn't throw it away. Then one day I was washing walls and having to move my step stool around, constantly climbing up and down on it to rinse out the rag and a light bulb came on. Invested in some more of the wet cloths and I now use that to wash walls. Easy peasy!

In The Woods likes this.
  11. In The Woods

I’ll have to get one of those. In fact I am scrubbing walls right now ahead of some painting this winter -never thought of them for the walls - thanks!

Edit to add - I just added a starter kit to my Walmart cart - will pick up on Monday when I go to town.

Now I want to out off my wall cleaning until I get this!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Teej likes this.
  12. In The Woods

Well I picked up a Swiffer today - the one that uses the wet or dry pads. Also picked up a pack of wet pads at the Dollar Tree for $1.

This will be perfect for keeping our floors clean. For the walls - I am having to really scrub them - they haven’t been touched in 20 years. Getting ready to paint. Once painted the Swiffer will work great for keeping the walls clean as you mentioned.

I honestly never knew about cleaning walls or that you had to. My wife always took care of the house in the past. She would take care of the inside and me the outside. I now have a firm maintenance program in place once I get done painting. Keeping the walls clean is the key I see and the Swiffer will be a huge help.

Teej and PlayingInDirt like this.
  13. Teej

Teej Well-Known Member

Glad my suggestion could help you out In The Woods. I hate to clean so I'm all for anything that makes it easier.

In The Woods likes this.
  14. MELQ

MELQ Well-Known Member

put rubber bands on canisters or mason jars for a better grip

PlayingInDirt and In The Woods like this.
  15. In The Woods

That’s a good tip for other items as well. Having RA I find it difficult to grab a lot of things. First thing that comes to mind since I just took a shower is the shampoo bottle.

16. In The Woods

Kind of funny - I think that cleaning has become my new hobby! I can’t do much having RA but really need a sense of accomplishmemt everyday from something - anything! This time of year I can’t do anything outside so looking for inside stuff. My wife (also crippled up) is a crafter -can sit and crochet for hours. Me....not so much. Add to that the fact we don’t have much of any extra money, so I look for something that doesn’t cost much and keep me busy.

Cleaning fits the bill right now.

Teej and PlayingInDirt like this.
  17. PlayingInDirt

It's so great to have a clean house!

We like to have friends over to visit, usually about once a month, one particular family. They have a baby and like to get out of the house. I have serious OCD that my house has to be a certain level of cleanliness. Given that I work full time with a commute, that scramble to get my house in order, while crazy at the time, saves my life for at least a week!

18. In The Woods

The clean house is just for us. Thinking back - it must have been 10 years or more since anyone visited our house. And just as long since we visited anyone else except for my wife’s parents.

I’m OCD about way too much stuff but it looks like I may have one more item now.....

19. snowlady

snowlady Well-Known Member

I have the swifter with no bottle for solution. I use cut up t-shirts to dry mop the floors. I do still end up with a little pile of stuff that doesn't stick to the cloth. You can also use scraps of fleece. To scrub the floors, I use cut up towels or the dish cloths with net on one side I put a bunch of them in a little bucket of water/cleaner and scrub away. Cheaper than the wet-jet solution. I use maybe a half dozen each time. Into the washer they go.

In The Woods likes this.
  20. PlayingInDirt

Oh, my clean house is just for me. But we do have visitors on a semi regular basis.

In The Woods likes this.