Handy tips for the home

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Organizing' started by PlayingInDirt, Nov 5, 2017.

1. PlayingInDirt

PlayingInDirt Well-Known Member

Thought it'd be nice to compile some handy tips for the home. I'll keep adding as I think of them.

• The little hoop on the inside of a jacket is for putting a hangar through in order to hang. (You might think "duh,," but this was a eureka moment for me)
    • Put a kitchen garbage bag in your bathroom garbage cans. That way when you go to empty out the trash, you have extra room to throw away other stuff you're picking up.

pixiedoodle likes this.
  2. MELQ

MELQ Well-Known Member

* use a fitted sheet to cover your box springs - I have boys who dont want dust ruffles and its handy to use in case of an accident in the night
    * after hunting season, I buy the hand warmers on clearance - they are great to use when we get earaches because they stay warm for hours and are portable ( wrap in cloth for children or if have sensitive skin )

3. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

Great idea for a thread! Since I am now taking over the inside cleaning duties I am looking forward to more tips and tricks.

pixiedoodle likes this.
  4. mzgarden

mzgarden Well-Known Member

Love these kinds of threads. Here are two of my most recent ideas:

Put one of those stick-em hooks on either side of the kitchen trash can, on the outside, upside down. Drop a grocery bag into the can, loop the handles around the hooks. If the bag starts to slip into the can, the hooks prevent it.
    Snipped off a 2"x6" strip off a rubber rug holder mat and wrapped it around my oven door handle and secured it. Now my hand towel will stop slipping off the oven door onto the floor every time I bump it.

5. doozie

doozie Well-Known Member

I have throw rugs by my doors for muddy or wet paws, I got so tired of washing and wearing them out, heavy to dry, etc. I now cover them with dark thrift store bath towels. They shake out easily before washing, turn over to the "clean" side for extra life, and can stash them away if company is coming, and have a clean rug at all times now. The towels are really absorbent for wet boots too.

6. alida

alida Well-Known Member

Put a strip of carboard or folded newspaper on the floor under the gap between the stove and counter. It'll help catch whatever might drip or drop off the edge of your stove. Just pull the dirty strip and replace with a new one as necessary. It doesn't help keep the side of the stove clean,but it does protect the floor somewhat.

pixiedoodle and PlayingInDirt like this.
  7. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

I do the towel thing as well

pixiedoodle and dmm1976 like this.
  8. MELQ

MELQ Well-Known Member

a good way to clean your rugs ( especially wool ones) is to take them outside after a fresh snowfall , cover them with snow and then broom it off

9. In The Woods

I like this. We have tons of towels as my mother-in-law changes out her towels multiple times a year and gives us her “old” ones. We keep one by each door for rubbing our dog down when he comes in when it’s raining. Never thought of putting a couple on the floor also.

10. In The Woods

OK - we went to the Dollar Tree yesterday and I got some cleaning supplies. They had a nice selection of liquid type cleaners of which I got some Spic and Span in spray bottle for wiping up and a bottle to use diluted for moping.

Then I needed a mop. Oh boy - what a hassle that turned out to be....

We have very old floors which are (gasp!) the old asbestos tile. They are worn out but I like to keep them clean. We have an old roller mop which I like because you can put some down pressure on it to sort of scrub if you have to. The days of getting on my knees to scrub the floor are long gone.

They didn’t have that type at Dollar Tree so I looked at WalMart. $18 for a roller mop and $8 for the refill heads - ouch!

So I did get a cheapo sponge head mop at the Dollar Tree to hold me over. It will work OK for spreading wax around but useless to me for regular mopping as it won’t take any down pressure.

Maybe I am going at this all wrong and I just don’t know how to mop? All my life I would have just got down on my hands and knees to do the floor (scrub it) but just can’t do that anymore.

Any suggestions?

pixiedoodle likes this.
  11. alida

alida Well-Known Member

Brilliant idea. I did this last night and wondered why I had not thought of something so obvious. Brilliant idea.

pixiedoodle and mzgarden like this.
  12. PlayingInDirt

What I like is the one with the little flaps that you twist to wring out. First I soak the floor with lots of water for 5 min, then I wring the mop out thoroughly and pick up the water with the mop. I had a lot of tile floor at our old house, and also worked in a bakery when I was younger.

If you try it out, do be careful, floor gets really slick.

When the mop head gets dirty, just throw in the wash. I think mine was about $10.

pixiedoodle and In The Woods like this.
  13. In The Woods

Thanks for the tip! I never thought of soaking the floor first then mopping it to clean and dry. This also gives me an option for a new mop.

14. MELQ

MELQ Well-Known Member

since its starting to frost, when you have to go outside to start your car pull down the visors to help circulate the air back down on the windshield and it will defrost faster

15. MELQ

MELQ Well-Known Member

* when cleaning windows, use coffee filters instead of paper towels.
    * invest in an egg slicer. it can be used for other soft foods like olives or strawberries

pixiedoodle and In The Woods like this.
  16. In The Woods

I used to use newspaper for cleaning windows - worked very well. But there are no newspapers around here.

pixiedoodle likes this.
  17. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

I have a carport and when I go out at night, I don't like to leave the carport light on as I believe it signals intruders that nobody is home.
    So....I put one of those stick on lights on the door going from the carport into the kitchen. When I push it on, it lights the door area just enough to be able to see the door lock.

pixiedoodle and mzgarden like this.
  18. MELQ

MELQ Well-Known Member

get every ounce out of bottles or tubes you can. invest in a bottle funnel, warm bottles in hot water or microwave, cut open tubes. add water to your empty laundry detergent or soap bottles and use to clean sinks or bath tubs. keep your solid deodorant containers and melt the contents to pour into one container. heat up a lotion bottle and pour out into another container. you will be surprised how much of a product can be left over when you think a bottle is empty

19. tiffanysgallery

tiffanysgallery Well-Known Member Supporter

Before I leave home to travel, or even a day out and about, I take a picture of my stove w/my phone. That way if I question myself, "Did I leave the stove on?", I just have to look to my cell phone for reassurance. :)

pixiedoodle likes this.
  20. PlayingInDirt

When I go out of town, I wash all my blankets and sheets, and put them on fresh before I leave. Then I have a brand new fresh bed when I get home.