Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
This is our third and none of them have ever bitten anyone. Lack of training perhaps? GSD are smarter than most people, so unless one is willing to spend time and effort with one, they shouldn't have one. They aren't an ornamental dog you just take out for photo ops. They need a job and one on one with their person.

On the other hand, ours have always been excellent judges of character. Perhaps there is an issue with the people he bit? ;)

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
That's old news.

The dog, Commander, shown in the OP picture above isn't the same dog that bit people. Commander is now the only dog that the Bidens own, and she's a young dog who is only 11 months old, but the Bidens had two other dogs (both now gone) prior to being gifted with Commander.

The other 2 dogs were Champ, a friendly, gentle old German Shepherd family pet who died at age 13 some time in June 2021, and the other was Major, a multi-mixed breeds dog who was the biter.

Major the biter was a very nervous, untrained adult rescue dog that the Bidens got 3 years ago from a Delaware humane society but the busy environment among so many strangers coming and going was too stressful for him and he nipped at people who got too close to him. So since spring of 2021 Major has been gone, he was adopted by a family living in a quiet environment on acreage where there aren't a lot of people or disruptions.

The beautiful young pure bred female GSD, Commander shown above, was a gift last September from a family member and apparently she is a delightful well trained dog of even temperament who is still in professional training.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
This is our third and none of them have ever bitten anyone. Lack of training perhaps? GSD are smarter than most people, so unless one is willing to spend time and effort with one, they shouldn't have one. They aren't an ornamental dog you just take out for photo ops. They need a job and one on one with their person.

On the other hand, ours have always been excellent judges of character. Perhaps there is an issue with the people he bit? ;)
I think that’s a lot of the problem that people have with dogs today. The trusty old mutt makes a great companion, but the pure breeds are more like sports cars. People put hundreds of years and hundreds of generations into developing breeds with very specific purposes, and it’s hard for a dog to forget his engineering.

People want a recognizable breed just like they want a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, but then, like when they fail a high-bred dog, run into a hard lesson when they realize they don’t know how to drive a manual transmission. You can buy a GSD or a Pointer that’s been removed from its training for a few generations, but, even then, it’s a crap shoot and you may end up with a working dog when what you really wanted was a fashion statement.

Even with mutts, you sometimes end up with more horsepower than you were shopping for. I’ve got a well-bred GSP, and I failed him by not training and hunting him as hard as I should have. When I realized I wasn’t up to the challenge of a Ferrari, I resigned myself to just getting my dogs from the shelter. That said, my last one appears to be a mix of Pit and Plot Hound, and he ended up with all the Plottie drive.

I’ve learned to manage him and keep him between the lines, but he’d have lived his best life as a worker- and, with the right audition, would have had the military guys considering adding Plots to the stable alongside the Malinois.

·
Registered
100 Posts
With ANY dog, the key is TRAINING and CONSISTENCY. That, and making sure that the dog gets enough exercise. A GSD, or any breed needs a chance to do what they were developed to do (and the drive to do is pretty much "hard-coded" in their DNA.) Expecting a working breed to behave like a lap dog is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
59 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts