handling a buck

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Penn Kinders, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Penn Kinders

Penn Kinders Member

I have a 1 1/2 year old kinder buck that is becoming a problem. I got him to breed my doe, which he was more than happy to do, but now he doesn't seem to know the difference between people and does. Everytime someone goes into the pen with him, he makes his grunting noise he does with the doe and tries to nibble on your leg, like he would the neck of the doe and urinates all over everything. He even tries to urinate on you through the fence if you're not in the pen. He's not aggressive in any other way such as butting or rearing up at you or anything, it's just like he's always in rut. What can I do to corect him to get him to stop coming after people?

2. goats hate water....get a squirt gun and squirt him back!

3. Caprinne

Caprinne New Member

As long as you're not having problems with aggression that's great. But if it really bothers you, spitting at him will get the message across too. Or flicking him on the nose.

4. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Is he all by himself in the pen? Since bucks are herd animals they tend to want another goat wtih them. Some places put a wether in with their bucks. We have two bucks we hand raised from a month of age and they will rub against me to scent me but they aren't too aggressive with me and they are 2 1/2 years old (half Boer).
    Giving them a companion keeps them occupied.

That is the only advice I have though. :(

5. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

At this time of the year I feel that this is pretty much just a normal buck thing. Usually they start letting up soon after the does are bred and it gets cooler. Mine are already not quite as smelly since my does have been bred for about 6 weeks. :) There is alot of upper lip turning up each time one of the girls walk by and pees. I think when the buck turns up that upper lip that he is saying, yep she's prenant and its mine.

6. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Rest assured that your buck is totally normal - their behavior in rut is rather illogical as they seem to not care whether human or doe. My adorable Cocoa who we raised from a bottle thinks I am his "babe". I can talk to him for a few minutes, then he gets all wild eyed, grunts, commences his lip quivers, and displays what he is proudest of - that is when I know to fall back about ten feet as I will be in his line of fire :D When I go into his pen to give him hay, fresh water, and such he runs at me, wants to play, and of course tries his moves on my leg or back should I stoop over ! Cocoa has never butted me, is so very sweet, but I think the hormones get him a bit confused. He is in a pen with "Buttons" and chases him and tries to mount him as well. Poor Buttons doesn't know just what to do - he baahs at me to come in and save him from Cocoa the wonder lover.

I think your buck is just showing that he is all grown and wants to do big goatie stuff !!! Spraying Cocoa with the hose seems to deter his activity with Buttons, but not from his affections at me. I give him a stern "NO", push him aside gently and that seems to work for me at the moment. Their rubbing against you is their way of marking just as a cat does with their caretakers. The urinating is just a goat thing that when his rut is over it should slow some, although most bucks are very proud of being able to do this sort of thing (God only knows why He made that as part of the 'court ship' routine).

I bred Cocoa today to my doe, Baby, so today I got a reprieve as he seemed satisfied to give her all the attention and lip ! :)

7. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I have 8 bucks. Not one of my bucks mistake me for a doe, nor do they urinate or attempt to urniate on me.

I agree with the poster that said if he is alone he needs other bucks or at least a wether in with him. They are herd animals and need the company of their peers.

I run all 8 bucks together when it is not breeding season.

8. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

Same here...my buck has NEVER acted this way. He's a gentle guy,and knows a goat from a human. I think I'd be tempted to find him another home if I was having to deal with all of that behavior. I,too,have him in a lot with other goats. He shares a large lot with all of my wethers,and will have another buck to be his buddy come spring.

9. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i promise youre buck is normal,, wiht i=his age he might be a bit confused, but mostlikely, he is simply still in full rut, when you get a couple of frosts, hell settle down and quit peeing on himself, i promise .
    as others asked, is he alone? you might look into a wether for him, wethers trained to pull carts, are great on the farm , and not at all a waste of feed like others might say ...
    get a bottle fed wether, so he wants to be with you, if hes at least 5-6 months old get a dog harness, just put the traces on it, and add about 10 lbs dragging behind him when he gets used to that, and becomes more puppy like, following you around ! add a bit more weight, till you have a garden cart weight , which is about 40 lbs drag weight, those steel ones they sell at walmart and lowes and home depot are PERFECT!!!
    for about 50.00 , you can have a steel compant make you some dual side traces, or you can make them yourself out of aluminum or wood , a full grown full size breed wether can pull about 150-200 lbs fairly easily

10. Penn Kinders

Penn Kinders Member

He is not alone, he is in with the other buck that is from my does last kidding that is almost a year old (who acts nothing like the older buck). He is also in with my doe, which he already bred and is due soon. As for the rutting season, he has been doing this for months and just seems to keep getting worse about it. He doesn't even care if it is a male human in the pen. I had to do some work in the pen the other day, and the only way I could get him to leave me alone so I could do the work is to bring my border collie in the pen with me. He was a bottle raised if that makes any difference, and the young buck was raised on the doe.

11. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

As you can tell from the posts, all bucks are different. My bucks are all bottle raised tame, yet my 7 month old buck was terrible from about July until he was let in with the girls to breed, his penmate just 1 month older, is a perfect little gentleman. The young boys are always alot more of a handful then their older penmates who also outweight them by 150 pounds. I had to get my 7 month old by his collar and clip him to the fence to just water or feed hay. I don't think there is going to be any disciplining going on when all their blood is not in their brains! Control him by clipping him to the fence, even an eyebolt in the barn. Just get through the rut, he will go back to his sweet self after Christmas. By next year he will be older. I never have problems like this from my older guys, they know their job by then, they are eaiser to lead. I also keep my boys together after breeding season. I also don't give my trust to a buck who has not earned it yet. Bucks raised by women will challenge men in the pen just as if they are other male goats. Nobody goes in my pens without my animals controlled, you never know how a buck is going to react or even your boss doe, or a doe in heat.........they are livestock. Vicki

12. athome in SD

athome in SD Well-Known Member

I agree with Vicki.
    Please remember that no matter how they were raised they are indeed
    livestock and should be handled as such.
    We have a absolutley wonderful herd of goats, all sweet and calm bucks
    included. But when the sun goes down each day regardless of my
    fondness for them they are still livestock.
    Christina
    athome in SD