Hand Well Pump

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Vette Eaterr, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Vette Eaterr

Vette Eaterr Well-Known Member

I live in an area with frequent power outages. At the moment when the power goes out we just hook up the generator to the submersible pump and pump water that way for a day or so. Being curious, i started researching deep well hand pumps. But all of these pumps have to be placed on top of my exisiting well cap. Is there a hand pump out there that i could connect inline with the existing pipe in the basement and pull water about 100' up? This way i could utilize the pipe already inuse with the electric pump and utilize the check valve on th electric pump, and don't have to worry about the hand pump freezing, and myself freezeing going outside to pump water.

Well any ideas would be great, or just get me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. tprice

tprice Tp in sc

Hey Bob: I use that setup on my shallow well pump but I do not think it will work on a deep well. A shallow well pump pulls from the top and a deep well pump pushes from the bottom. A deep well pump has a rod that goes from pump handle to the valve assem. at the water level. tprice in sc

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Go to the archives in to the 'water' catagory, this has been solved before.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Since you already have the generater, it would be an expensive step backwards to install an outdoor hand pump.