hand water pump

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by michiganfarmer, Nov 21, 2005.

1. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

how deep can a hand pump get water from? Ive often thought about putting in a hand pump for when the power goes out, and mabey even for being off the grid, but my well is about 120 feet deep

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

Lehmans has some good hand puming information on their website (www.lehmans.com). Of course, they will try to sell you the parts which you might be able to get cheaper locally.

3. michiganfarmer

thanks. that looks like a pretty good site

4. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

How far is it down to the water level in your well. Hand pumps can go pretty deep but I don't know the limit. Our well when I was a kid was about 100 feet, but it was only about 45 feet to the water in the pipe. The pump had wooden rods that went down below the water level. They had a set of leathers and a check valve at the bottom of the rods. The leathers rubbed the well pipe and pulled the water upward. The check valve closed on the upstroke, and opened on the downstroke.

6. michiganfarmer

I dontknow how far dow the top of the water is. Mybrother had a new 5" well drilled 5 years ago. We share the property. I paid him half the cost, and I piped into it.