Hand Tools for Gift

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by duke3522, Dec 7, 2004.

1. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I am wanting to get my DS a good tool belt, and hand tools to go in it, for general carpentery and maintanence on the old farmhouse. He's a Jr. in high school so I would like to get him an outfit that will last him a long time. Please let me know what tools you concider essentail and what brands you would recommend.

Thanks

duke

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I like my California framing hammer. Kind of a hatchet handled nail driver. Stanley makes a steel shaft version which is comfortable too. Buck has a folding utility knife that is alot like a pocket knife you use standard utility blades in. Its on my gift lists to and from!! Pic-kwik multi tip screwdriver is very handy too. Stanley also makes a little handsaw handle that takes reciprocating saw blades. I wish it folded but it's very handy and with replaceable standard blades will be around forever.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've just moved to a tool bag rather than a belt which I prefer but each to their own on that one!

4. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

In my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with Craftsman hand tools from Sears. They come with a lifetime-no questions asked- replacement guarantee. Just bring the defective tool to a Sears store and they give you a new one. Good tools at a reasonable price.

As for a list, these come to mind:

1. claw hammer, 16 to 20 oz.
    2. two foot level
    3. screwdriver set, the more the better but at least a medium size slotted and phillips.
    4. pliers, 10" adjustable and linemens.
    5. carpenters square
    6. handsaws, cross-cut and rip
    7. vice-grips, medium size
    8. tape measure, 12 to 20 foot
    9. safety glasses

Well, that's a start. I'm sure others can add to it from here :)

5. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Agree with Gilberte except a good 25 ft. tape. Might want to add a chalk line and screw gun. IF you did not spend enough get a few electrical tools and a how to book on using them. An engraving tool is nice so he can put his mark on them. I have to wear suspenders on my tool belt or it pulls my pants down.

6. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Also agree that Craftsman tools are best because of the price/warranty.I dont no how many times i have replaced the same 20ft tape measure.Well its a 25ft now because the model has changed twice since i bought the first one.Any way they will take it back and hand you a new one no matter what you do to it.Just bring them the piece of it that is left that still says Craftsmen. :D Blades and springs will break every so often in tape measures.Make sure its a Craftsmen.25 ft is common size for carpentry.I started with the 20ft for welding,it had better numbers/marks.
    I also have a (very nice smooth thick leather) tool belt from Sears.It is all sold in separate pieces.Belt/large tool,nail bag/and separate swivel hammer holder/and a tape measure holder.Total cost was probely more than 60 bucks but as long as i keep it oiled it will last a long time.And if it does wear out it has Craftsmen labels on it. :D Also this set up allows me to switch tools bags from electric bags to carpentry. ;) Hence the separate belt and pieces.

The rest of the tools are pretty durable so they dont have to be Craftsmen.
    I do like Eastwing hammers best(they are pretty much standard for framing here).Solid steel handle model.I use a 20 and 22 ounce the most.Waffle/or corrugated head.Straight claw.
    Also an EastWing (cats claw) nail puller would be great.They are used for digging flushed nails out of wood.And have a rubber grip to take out vibration from hitting it with the hammer! A big PLUS!
    Might also get a flat pry bar.And larger crow bar.(I for get the name for it,but there is one that is really tuff,no way to bend it.It is rounded with large flat ends.
    Nail set (agin rubber handled) and carpenter (flat)pencils.(oh Lowe's or HD one, has a neat pencil sharpener for those flat pencils.There on the isle at the sales desk at the contractors entrence here))
    A Untility knife.(quick blade change kind,no tool required,just push the button,extra blades are stored in the handel in a flip open compartment.9 bucks they last forever)
    A Speed Square will fit in the large pouch.Also might get a regular framing square.
    And caulk line,blue caulk is standard.Id buy a cheaper one as they tend to get lost for some reason. :D
    Um what else is in my bags.Humm oh yea i have a little bitty flat pry bar 4bucks for pulling shoe mold and such.From Lowes.And a line bubble level 2bucks)

If you get a 4ft Level, get a Craftsmen for sure.They will get bent,broken often!
    I use the short cheap plastic ones maybe 10inches or so, and the 4ft the most.A 24 inch is also commonly used.

Um how much was you wanting to spend.This could get real exspencive. :D
    A simple tool belt(good ones are around 45 bucks at Lowes, some in leather or nylon that are fairly nice,also some leather ones that are sold seprate like sears im thinking very simler looking even just differnet name), hammer (30 for Eastwing) and tape measure (get the Craftsmen please :D ) that would get him started.

7. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Dont buy cheap.... been there replaced several items before I made the decision to buy the best quality that there was out there, ok that said dont go overboard, Ive had my eye on a toolbag with shoulder harness for a couple 3 years that sets a person back over $150.00, not really all that bad but just starting out it might not be the one to get. My tool bags are saddle leather and made in mexico, cause no one makes/sells a slip on bag here that is worth having each are over $50.00, Ive had the nylon bags, they last me about a a house before needing replaced and the first one broke out within a week with the tools i carry.

jack plane
    angle transfer
    nail set
    28 ounce Vaughn Wooden hammer, although been thinking of gettin a titanium 22
    Speed square, I have swansons 12 inch as well as a couple 6 inch ones of various manufactures
    I use a 30 foot tape from stanley, they make a 35 footer but it comes in the 30 foot case or did which gets it into a bind once in awhile when damp.
    set of wood chisels and a good diamond hone to keep them sharp
    cats paw, or small nail puller i have a set of vaughn that pulls down to small finish nails
    chalkline and DAYGLO orange chalk, just because you can see it for awhile.
    smallest regular tip visegrip.... use it to pull nails and a host of other things
    torpedo level
    pocket notebook [memobook]
    suspendars

Ive got alot of other speaciilty tooling that i carry as the job warrants, such as a Veritas double bubble scribe for full scribe log houses, and for putting in cabinets in a not so square house... Starrett Stair gauges [#110] for cutting a roof or cutting stairs using the traditional carpentar square.... various sizes of hammers for finish and for framing,

I figured it up once and i had nearly $600.00 in my tool box i carry my small hand carpentry tools in, and ive lost count of the tools that some one borrowed and never brought back, and of course after several years of contracting ive gott a whole bunch of dollars wrapped up in tools and would like to have more or different tools once in awhile, but i make do and get by.

Other tools i would recomend are a 6 foot level, a 4 foot level, and a couple 2 foot levels and again buy the best quality you can get....
    Books on various topics are not a bad idea either, some are even available on CD so you can read it on a disputer.
    A hand saw

Out fitting someone is a hard thing to do, my own tool bag has been known to weigh nearly 40 pounds at times..... but not all the time, mostly it weighs in about 25.

William