Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking a kit out to nurse on a doe that had lost her litter. The kits real mother and the rest of her litter died also.
But I think the doe he is nursing on is drying up.
Can I give it canned milk or half and half, that is all I have in the house.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I understand that goat's milk is the preferred choice, but I'm quite sure that Bernadette mentioned using canned evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed) for her orphaned kits. I believe she used it just as it came from the can. Here the brand would likely be Carnation... not sure if you get that south of the border.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We fed him some canned milk and he is sound asleep. I haven't seen him so peacefull since he was born 4 days ago.
We found a baby medicine syringe at the store and he caught on to eating from it pretty fast.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I would feed it once a day, late late evening. Try waiting until it is dark out, let it drink as much as it wants....this is mimicing the mothers habbits.

Mom rabbits will only feed there kits once or twice a day, it keeps away predators and draws attention away from the kits.

Jesse
www.freewebs.com/jessescritters

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
twice a day. morning and evening. Only as much as makes them feel full - they'll eat, at that age, 1-2 tbsp of milk, by the time they hit four weeks they'll be down to once a day 2-3 tbsp of milk. Don't overfeed or they die on you. Not enough and they don't have the strength to go on. Don't force them, just encourage them. sometimes they'll do 1/2 tbsp one feeding and then 2 tbsp the next. They move ALOT. some will fold their hands in a praying position, some need to be cuddled in a hand. Keep them warm. I raised 11 from 13 days old. Kept 4 alive! YEAH!!!! One never drank from a bottle...only from a bowl. they became total pets, just absolutely total pets. at day 28 I added some oatmeal to their diet ... just a wee bowl...gave them a wee bit extra along with their pellets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts