hand raising a baby bunny

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by BlessedMom, May 30, 2005.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Our NZ doe had 7 kits. Only one is left. One has died almost every day since she had them a little over a week ago. We tried taking them out and putting them back in just to nurse. Today 2 more died.
    So that leaves one. We have decided to try to dropper feed it.
    How often and how much should I feed it?
    It's about 10 days old.
    Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

Lori

2. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    About a month ago, my neighbor brought us 6 wild baby bunnies he found whine mowing his field. I bought Kitten Milk Replacement at TSC (also available at vet offices), and a small nursing bottle. I fed 4-5 times daily (after I got them to accept the food, the first 2 days were rough and they lost a lot of weight). Rabbits normally nurse 2x daily but their milk is richer. Go the side of the mouth in behind its teeth with the nipple and put a drop or two in its mouth. Give it a minute or two to swallow, and do this a few more times. After it gets the hang if this, tryputting the nipple under his cleft, between his lips and against his front teeth. Squeeze a couple of drops in his mouth and let him drink. After it gets the hang of this, put a drop in his mouth and another drop in the cleft under his nose at his bottom lip. As he swallows the drop in his mouth, it will draw in the second drop. Now you just have to keep the cleft filled with milk and it will eat as much as it wants. A word of caution - Bunnies are stubborn as mules when it comes to force feeding. It takes a lot of practice and patience and is very time consuming. The 6 I had took up to an hour to get everyone fed. For weaning, soak a few pellets in the milk. Give the bunny a taste of milk to stimulate the feeding response, and put a mushy pellet between his lips. Eventually he'll eat it. After he eats some, then give him the bottle. I did this for a couple days and then switched to pellets and water in their tank. Once they discovered the supply of food, there was no stopping them.

I hope this helps. Good luck

3. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

You can also give them baby food spinach in a syringe, and just give until they have round tummies.