Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for the past year my wife and I have been collecting those realistic plastic farm animals at Tractor Supply Store one at a time to give our little 3 year old GD Autumn for Christmas. We have about 30 of them. We went looking for a nicely made barn but all we could find was cheapo plastic Chinese junk at a high price. Soooo...my wife and I decided to make her a wooden barn along with some fencing made from square dowels and popcycle sticks. It turned out so well I thought I'd share some pics from when Autumn opened it while ago. Notice too the Velociraptor dinosaurs which Autumn also received for Christmas and felt they belonged down on the farm with the other animals :)

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Very Nice! I had a cool wooden barn when I was a girl too. She will find many different scenarios to play out with it. Dinosaurs are only the beginning. When she gets a little older you can get the miniature hay bales, and pitchforks, shovels. Totally fun. I was also into my Breyer horses, which I still have to this day. the barn sadly became an 'outdoor' toy and who knows what finally happened to it.

I used to like to put the CAT in my barn, and lock the doors...I told my mom he was mousing! Every barn needs a barn cat, right? LOL.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
What a great toy and the fact that you and your wife made it makes it even more special for your grandaughter.

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
You did a GREAT job, now that is what a gift should look like

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how wonderful!

What a special gift and especially because of the love that went into it.

Thats wonderful - if you haven't already done so, consider either woodburning on the bottom or writing with a permanent marker a special little message to Autumn about the gift, complete with the date, and anything else you think appropriate. It will mean so much to her in the future.

And when she "outgrows" the barn, be sure to keep it somewhere safe. She may want to "re-purpose it" later on. I have seen antique handcrafted barns later used as spice cabinets when the little "farmer" grows up.
That's a nice idea. Thanks.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
What a great idea!

My daughter has been collecting those animals from TSC too. She's 12 and past the age of playing with a farm set, but I think she'd enjoy a way to display them. Maybe for her birthday I could make her a version of what you did, to hang on the wall!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That is adorable(and much nicer than the carp in the stores). I did LOL at the one pic though(the aerial view of the barn), with the velociraptor coming in the back window...it looks like the animals are running away, knocking each other over(and I do believe the rooster has passed out). Jurassic Farm?

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
What a cool gift!!!My grandpa built me one when I was a little kid @50 years ago, and I played with it for hour after hour. I still have it in fact...

·
Registered
415 Posts
We went looking for a nicely made barn but all we could find was cheapo plastic Chinese junk at a high price.
...which would have broken within a couple of weeks.

This is a great present. Nobody else will ever have one exactly like it, and it is full of love. Plus, she will be able to make up her own games with it, and she won't need new batteries for it!

·
Formerly Kathleen in AR
1,050 Posts
That is just beautiful. It reminds me of something my dad would have made. I'm sure she will cherish it all her life.

edited to add: Your granddaughter is adorable too. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts