Hand-dug water well

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by peacelover, Jun 9, 2004.

1. peacelover

peacelover Guest

Dear Friends,
    This is my first post here. Two years ago I read somewhere on the net (most propably here) about how to dig a shallow well (30 - 40 feet depth) using bare hands and two PVC pipes. Is there anyone can help me get full dtails?
    Thanks

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Welcome, first time poster, check the archives, water catagory.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............At my previous home , we had 11 acres which was all within the city limits. I discovered a Hand dug well about 60 feet deep. I can't even begin to imagine how much work it took to dig that well. It was about 30 inches in diameter and Completely lined with rock from the local area, and it was almost completely dry. I had to rent a backhoe to fill it in with dirt. good luck....fordy... :eek: :)

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

as with any well, you risk contamination from surface water run off, anything lass than 100 feet these days is kind of asking for trouble, an old place we had had a 60 foot well, and we had the water tested, it was FULL of surface contamination , even traces of DDT !!!, as well as coliform and nitrates...
    needless to say , it was unsafe, so we filled it in
    had a professional crew out to dig a well, it was 250 feet deep and cost $2200.00, we payed half down and they financed the rest over 6 months

make your own choice, if you were only digging the well for irrigation , it should be safe, but not for human or animal use
    Beth

5. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Peacelover, I have an article from CountrySide Magizine that explains how to hand dig a well. It's three pages long and has two nice photos. I can either mail them or try coping them to a file and E-mailing them.
    I was raised on a hand dug well that was only about 30 feet deep. I'm 56, have all my teeth, good eyes, and in good health. To my knowledge the water was never tested, but I'm sure it is a good idea. Take Care over in SA, Kathy