1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Living in the Hills
4,534 Posts
I had one back in the 90's. As you said for a small load, if that's all you have to do, the work okay. I found that a scrub board got my clothing cleaner and as you have to wring everything out with those anyway, it was actually easier to use. Now for backup to my washing machine, I have an old wringer washer. It is electric, but dh assures me that he can put a gas motor on it if the power goes out.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
We had one of those years back and actually had occasion to use it when our washing machine broke down. It worked well on lightly soiled, smaller clothing articles, but for larger items like jeans and such I'd choose a galvanized tub and a washboard in a heartbeat. It finally developed a crack in the plastic after a few months of heavy use and we had to throw it away.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I considered getting that washer from Lehmans, but ended up getting a washboard, side-by-side wash tubs on legs, and a hand crank wringer instead. I have too many kids and clothes to have such a small capacity washer.

But I'm glad you like yours!

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I had one of these years ago for camping and emergency backup. When it fell of the shelf and shattered, I didn't see the need to replace it. First, it will barely hold one pair of adult jeans to wash. It also does not drain well, as the drain is on the bottom, and the washed clothes sit on it and prevent the water from coming out. Everything you wash has to be hand wrung - and they come out very wet. I did find it good for doing underwear while camping. though.

Dawn

·
Defending the Highground
580 Posts
I have one and used it for years while traveling. It worked great as long as I did a few things each day. Wringing out was the hard part so DH rigged up a wringer from parts he cannibalized from an old wringer washing machine.

I still have mine, although I bought a home last year and now have a new front loader. But I'll keep the pressure washer in the event that I ever need it again.

RVcook

·
Five Oaks Ranch-in SW AR
325 Posts
We had one of those years back and actually had occasion to use it when our washing machine broke down. It worked well on lightly soiled, smaller clothing articles, but for larger items like jeans and such I'd choose a galvanized tub and a washboard in a heartbeat. It finally developed a crack in the plastic after a few months of heavy use and we had to throw it away.
I had considered one of these for almost daily use (just me here), glad I read this. I had some concerns about it being plastic already.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I just got one for emergencies and for when we camp at the river for 10 days straight, so that I can wash swimsuits, towels, etc. Better than just rinsing out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How do you use washboards and what makes them effective? I have seen them in the hardware store but can't see really how they work. Has anyone tried using a clean toilet plunger for laundry. How does it compare?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts