Hand crank new sewing machine

Discussion in 'Survival & Emergency Preparedness' started by AngieM2, Dec 3, 2012.

1. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

w/motor attachement.

Janome 131HDL HandCrank Sewing Machine & Motor Kit, 14.5x7" Flatbed All Metal Black Gold Leaf Straight Stitch Reverse, Class15 Bobbin Winder, DropFeed - New Low Price! at AllBrands.com

Janome 131HDL HandCrank Sewing Machine & Motor Kit, 14.5x7" Flatbed All Metal Black Gold Leaf Straight Stitch Reverse, Class15 Bobbin Winder, DropFeed $149

I am only putting this here, as it's crank power should electricity go out for some time, or if you're off grid now and want to sew some.

(and this is the brand of machine I swear by, and have a few of their modern machines).

2. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

that is a work of art.thanks angie ..more stuff to the want/need/gotta have list.

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I am the designated crank turner for my wife's antique hand crank Singer sewing machine. I told her she was the one going to riding the bicycle to turn the generator to keep my Ham radio on the air.

Trisha in WA, myheaven, oth47 and 2 others like this.
  4. AngieM2

Looking at the page, apparently this is a tredle head, when not crank or with the motor.

they are doing it as they've been in sewing for 150 years this year.

5. bowdonkey

bowdonkey Well-Known Member Supporter

Beautiful machine. It's hard to believe something like this is still manufactured. It gives me hope!

Pearl B likes this.
  6. puddlejumper007

puddlejumper007 Well-Known Member

angie, i took the motor off my sewing machine, hook it up in a old treadle cabinet. got the belt at amish store, i love it..

Trisha in WA likes this.
  7. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow. I gather this is built on the vintage Singer model 15? Although I like my vintage, had I not gotten one, I would buy this in a heartbeat. Treadle, handcrank and motor all in one? Nice.

8. AngieM2

And apparently the package that has the hand crank and motor and head is usually $199 and right now $149.

As soon as I get paid. I will have one. Up in Sewing someone says a friend has one and likes it a lot.

But the hand crank and can be tredle seems just right for sewing when no grid.

Trisha in WA likes this.
  9. sandsuncritters

sandsuncritters Well-Known Member

That's a lovely machine, Angie :).

My treadles are all Singer. One aunt had a hand crank but I don't know what happened to it. My grands like to use them as they are less scary than the electrics. Lots of doll clothes LOL.

I have also discovered that the treadles are easier on my arthritic hands, the cranks probably would be too. Better control for slower reflexes -gittin' old & gimpy ain't for the fainthearted!

Oh my, I just saw those posted prices and just about fainted! Around here old treadles are going for between 60-100/150 complete and working on Craigslist! Several family members have snapped them up lately :)

In His Love

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  10. AngieM2

Actually New Home had sewing machines back then in the model, I think the era had this styling. It's using it's 1860 machines as the model.

11. Groene Pionier

Groene Pionier Well-Known Member Supporter

Really beautiful. I recently bought an old singer which I hope to make it work again. It is a thread machine (if that is the right word)

12. wagvan

wagvan Well-Known Member

Just because it is fun: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkXJxVQHiJI]How to do Free Motion Quilting on a Treadle Sewing Machine - YouTube[/ame]

You can convert many machines to hand cranks and there are many machines that will go back and forth to motors and treadles. You can find old Singers for $10 at garage sales and treadles many people give away to a good home. You just have to be looking and be patient. There are also a lot of people who see them and think they are worth big bucks because they are old and antique looking. (They aren't, especially the Singers, because Singer made bazillions of them. But that is also the great thing about them, because there is a ton of info and parts out there for them.) There are also some more modern machines (1960s) that have punch out for treadle cords.

Groene Pionier likes this.
  13. beaglebiz

beaglebiz Wasza polska matka

Im hoping DH will get me a treadle sewing machine for Christmas. He is a tinker, and should be able to put an oldie back in good order. the one pictured is a beauty.

14. Trisha in WA

Trisha in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

That is a gorgeous machine Angie!
    I bought a beautiful 1939 Singer treadle this year for my birthday. Got a fantastic deal at $60. I've been watching for one and they have either been not in good condition or over $100. So I was really excited. I'll be making my first ever quilt with it this winter. I figured it will do very well on the denim that I plan to use (hubby's old jeans).

15. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd put a treadle on before I'd crank it by hand.

Bob

16. AngieM2

But if you don't have treadle and you don't have electricity, with hand you can still sew.

When I get one, I'm going to try the hand crank. But may end up with the motor, for now and keep the crank for converting back when and if necessary.

Trisha in WA likes this.
  17. wagvan

wagvan Well-Known Member

The fact is you can hand crank any sewing machine. Just turn the hand wheel. It is not like motorized machines won't work without electricity, they will work manually also. The hand cranks just make it easier.

18. AngieM2

Yes, I've hand cranked many of mine for a precise corner and the like, but without the handle they don't move very fast at all.

19. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    Beautiful machine! Sigh...sewing machines and I don't get along. I can knit, crochet, embroider, & sew by hand, but when it comes to sewing machines, forget it! They just don't like me. I end up beating on them. Then I sew by hand.

20. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

ok not to be a party pooper....I am still drooling over the machine but this came thru on the TO list yesterday.....Now no one there has tried the Janome so it may be fine, but someone has tried 2 other "new" treadle/handcranks that have come out and was really disappointed in them. Quality was nowhere near the originals.
    Scroll down to the review by Amandabab......
    Janome Hand Crank Sewing Machine

But I'm thinking (after wiping my chin :) ) that you can get a really nice original handcrank for that price and not have to worry.