Hampshire Sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Steve in Ohio, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Steve in Ohio

Steve in Ohio Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of adding some sheep to our operation for some time, now a opportunity has come up.A fellow not far away has some Reg. Hampshires for sale.My question is on pricing...is 125.00 each for March lambs about right???and 100.00 for 2 yr old ewes in line????Looked at them yesterday and for what I know about sheep they looked good and are well cared for.The guy told me they were all triplets or twins,he culled all the rest.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

They are registered stock which means you can add some value to the offspring you'll produce. Is that with the registrations transfered or not? For good animals it's not a bad price anyhow (If they were here in E Ont. even allowing for currency differences) not sure about Ohio; but, I doubt it's very different. Price is always important but when buying a breeding flock;however, look at value for the price. Does he have some lambing records or any supporting documents he's been using to manage the flock? I'm sure there are some that can keep a small flock straight in their head, just it's nice to know they were keeping track as it can be easy to forget and forgive if it's not written down. Have they been tested for CL and OPP? I wouldn't write them off if they havn't just it adds value if you know they are free of those two problems. Check each animal's udder, eyes, feet(legs too), and teeth, they need them all. Get some help if you need it. Nothing wrong with spending a little up front to know you've got good stock. Beats culling it out after you've paid for them.

3. Ross

Just remembered ask if they have been tested fro scrapie. Hopefully an American can fill in the details of the testing program down there but there was/is one.

4. Steve in Ohio

Went back last night with my FIL,(he raised sheep so he knows more what to look for than I do)anyhow we picked 6 from this flock.Three March lambs and 3 two yr olds,all reg.Hampshires.
    Ross,this fellow has a sort of spread sheet type of breeding records.He also said that he would transfer all the paperwork on these sheep into my name.I asked about the scrapie program,he gave me alot information but it looks like its up to me to get the blood work done.One more question,if I wanted to breed the two yr olds would Oct. be a good time to run a buck with them???

5. Ross

Running a ram might work better! ;) If you want March lambs it should be fine. Hamps are likely at their breeding peak for Oct and Nov. Do you know their vacination status and worming schedule (what, when)? It would be a good time to score them to see if they'll need much flushing for breeding. Ideally you want them gaining slightly from a body score of 3 (or good cover but not fat over the loin area. Your FIL should be able to show you that.) If they are not vacinated you proably should get them set up with the starter series of an 8 way vacine so you can give a booster in the spring.

6. Steve in Ohio

Ross,
    Thanks for the info.we will be picking the sheep up this afternoon.The seller is worming and doing the trimming before we haul them home.BTW the term Buck is "Hillbonic's" for the male of the species,down here in the hills that term covers alot of ground............ ;) ;)