Hammers

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by james dilley, Jun 9, 2004.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

One tool nearly everybody owns is the hammer, But how many types of hammers does the average person own?? I make my own deadblow hammers, from wheel weights, It is a simple proccess to make them ,depending on the weight needed. If any body wants plans for one let me know and I will discribe how to make them.also who uses wooden mallets?

2. ohio_kid

ohio_kid Well-Known Member

I've got lots of hammers..framing hammers, smaller claw hammers for smaller jobs, various ball-pean hammers, I've never used wooden mallets but I've used rubber mallets. Would be interested in how you make dead-blow hammers.

3. Hogsubie

Hogsubie Well-Known Member

I'm interested in how to make a deadblow from wheel weights. What do you use a deadblow for anyway? :eek:

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'd like to hear how you make hammers too. I do have a great number of hammers, a few are still where they belong too! I have a wide faced dead blow mallet for pounding posts or shifting beams into place but not a wooden one. That would be a project too.

5. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I too am interested in the dead b;low from wheel weights.

I use wooden mallets in furniture making and in building log houses [as well as the 13 pound post mall]

as for the numberof hammers.... nearly a hundred... and not all are in the spot where i know they are supposed to be. yes nearly a hundred different hammers, from several years building, mechanicing, and collecting.... even built some of the blacksmitihing hammers I use, cheaper than buying one and just like the old timers did, make what you need.

What i really need to find is a good solid not beat up anvil, which most collectors prize for settingout to rust in their yard for some reasoning.... a fella i met in California gets them donated to the boy scouts once in awhile, and gets to use them at his house when they are taken to BSA camp for the sulmmer where he teaches classes in smithery.

William

6. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

i got several different kind of hammers to, i guess the most unique 1 is one that i beat out in a forge. made out of a railroad spike. boy are them things tough! don't harden very well though.

metal roofers use wooden mallets

7. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

when all you have is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail

I'm interested in the plans, too.