Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your ham ideas, my dear friend Jess just gave us an 8 pound ham :)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I score it, poke some whole cloves in it (if I have some) and make a paste of crushed pineapple and brown sugar and lather it on. I bake it for the directed time and keep basting it with the mixture every 1/2 hour. Then there are the left overs, cheezy hashbrown with ham, bean soup, ham sandwiches.....nummmy!

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Lucky you! I just finished off the last leftovers of a nice ham.

We had ham dinner, ham sandwiches, omelets with ham and cheese, scrambled eggs with ham and peppers, spaghetti carbonara with ham, quiche, ham and bean soup, scalloped potatoes with ham, and fried rice with ham.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
I really don't care what you do with the ham. I like it any way I get it. If you don't want that bone though------lots of possibilities! Oh, wait. I do care. I really don't care for it sweet. S.O.'s mother (poor soul couldn't cook herself out of a paper bag) makes it so sweet it's like dessert.

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
The Rombauer family had a saying in the "Joy of Cooking"- "Eternity is 2 people and a ham". We just finsihed half our 6 lb New Years ham and froze the other half.
After a variety of sliced ham dinners, you put chopped ham into different beans. Succotash with ham bits. Pork n Beans with ham bits. Split pea soup w/h.b. Navy bean soup with hbs. Then you make ham omelettes and creamed ham and eggs. Then pozole (Hominey, tomato and hot pepper soup) with tortillas. Then pound a chicken breast and make cordon bleu- warp it around ham and cheese and braed and bake it. (I know, toomuch work) Then ham quiche. Then hoppin john with ri ce and black eyed peas. Grilled ham n cheese sandwiches.
That should take care care of half of it. Freeze the other half till you can face ham again without going not again!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I like leftover ham cooked with lentils or cooked with greens and bacon and a little vinegar. Dh's favorite is ham and navy beans. If you like reubens, I have a recipe for a reuben casserole.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
I like to take chunks of ham and mix with mayo,tomatoes,and dill pickles. Makes a great sandwich.

·
Registered
566 Posts
score the top of it and mix:

2 cups brown sugar
3 Tablespoons dry mustard
1 Tablespoon white vinegar

mix into thick paste pat on top of ham bake.

Best glaze I've ever had

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
I've watched DH and his buddies cook whole hams for their cookin's, but I couldn't begin to tell you the specifics of what they used. I do know they put whole ham into a tall lard can on top of the stove with some ? liquid, brought it all to a rolling boil, and then lifted the can off the stove and placed it inside a sleeping bag on the floor. They wrapped the can up with a lot of old quilts and left it until the next day. They always served a real good ham, fork tender and tasty.

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
all the above hard to mess up ham! Im a little over done on it though. hams been on the
table at least 5 times a week since october. but ya boiled or baked ham for dinner, then
fried,diced,cooked into this or cooked into that. you could strech that baby out for a while just using it in different dishs. heres a fav hot ham and cheese(just like grilled cheese just with ham) then fried with eggs,scaloped potatos,potato soup with ham instead of bacon,beans(pinto or navey) with the bone or just chunks of ham,sky is the limit pretty versatile stuff! when I make sandwichs i like to spike it up with a little sherry pepper, garlic powder, rosemary,and onion powder for a faux Prosciutto take and slice it then then marinate it over night or an hour or two. dry it off with a paper towel or give it a quick spin in the skillet. just need enough liquid to distribute the spices.some provolone and roasted peppers and you have a pretty decent panini.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I do a country style ham just wrapped in tin foil and put in the smoker grill. About 45 minutes before it's done, I unwrape the foil and let it get some smoke flavor. Takes a few hours, but delish and so easy with next to no cleanup.

That's cooking and smoking with real wood, not charcoal briquets or gas.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Oh !! Send me your left over ham bone for bean soup !! Just made a big pot of northern bean soup with the ham bone from New Year's day and added the carrots etc. and my secret receipe ideas with it. Love bean soup. Made enought to freeze and this past weekend also made a huge pot of chicken noodle soup on the wood stove..of course. Don't throw that ham bone away...make bean soup !! :banana02:

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh !! Send me your left over ham bone for bean soup !! Just made a big pot of northern bean soup with the ham bone from New Year's day and added the carrots etc. and my secret receipe ideas with it. Love bean soup. Made enought to freeze and this past weekend also made a huge pot of chicken noodle soup on the wood stove..of course. Don't throw that ham bone away...make bean soup !! :banana02:
Have no fear..I would never throw away precious meat bones until I've eked every possible drop of flavor!

Bones here get oven roasted then simmered into stock.

Great ideas guys..keep them coming, it's just me, hubby and 8 pounds of piggy goodness :)

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
ham chunks,potatoes with the skins on,green beans, whole garlic cloves ... then make a white sauce out of the broth and EAT..........YUMMY

1 - 17 of 17 Posts