Ham question - how long in refridgerator?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by MN Gardener, Jan 17, 2011.

1. MN Gardener

MN Gardener Well-Known Member

So I was going to cook a ham last weekend for a nice meal, but we ended up being invited to a friends house for supper. I took the ham out of the freezer last Sunday and remembered it today. Is a week + too long to keep a ham in the refridgerator? I really don't want to waste it, but I don't want to make anyone sick either. Of course, there is no sell by date either! Any suggestions?

2. chickenista

chickenista Original recipe! Supporter

Is it a fresh ahm or a packaged, from the store ham?
    If it is a store ham, it will be fine as long as it was in it's wrapper.
    I bought one on after Christmas sale and baked it a few days ago..yum!

3. watcher

watcher de oppresso liber

First off, if you cook it to 180 degrees internally it isn't going to make anyone sick no matter how long it has sat in the icebox.

Second a week is no big deal.

But if you are really worried let me know and I'll tell you how to ship it to me and I'll get rid of it for you. I LOVE ham!!!!!! Oh and the scraps and bone in a pot of beans. . .as my dad used to say its good enough to make ya want to slap your momma!

4. chickenmommy

chickenmommy nosey, but disinterested Supporter

That's not a blanket truth. So don't think you can take any tainted something and cook it to 180 internal and not feel the effects.
    OTOH, ham is a cured meat, assuming it isn't a fresh ham, and as long as the cryovac wrap has not been opened it is safe to eat for probably a month or so. Best way to tell is the sniff test. Once it doesn't smell like ham anymore, it's time to 86 it.

5. beccachow

beccachow Animal Addict Supporter

I would go with a smell/touch test. If it is slimy, it is bad. A week in the fridge is not so bad, though, I don't think.

6. beccachow

beccachow Animal Addict Supporter

Also don't forget, it thawed in the fridge so that gives you an extra day or so while it thawed out.