halters

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pinemead, Apr 28, 2005.

1. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

Before I make some really bad mistake can you tell me what the potential hazards are with leaving a halter on a goat? I have Angoras - one horned and one dehorned., both wethers. They're slippery little buggers and I've had collars on them, but it gets wrapped up in their long hair. What kind of trouble can they get into while wearing halters? Thanks!

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy...halters can get hung up on fencing,post,thick brush or small trees...had a goat once go scratching and got his leg caught in a halter...dont ask how i dont know it wasnt loose so i couldnt figure it out myself...leaving halters on any animal can cause hair to wear away if left on for extended time...can also cause sores...problems eating...iff ill fitted even eye problems as the put heads into pails,feeders so it slips up if loose...in extreme cases i have seen halters that have grown into the skin cause they were never checked and left to tight cutting into the skin then the skin heals over it...I would never leave a haletr on any animal....I have plastic break away collars on my goats i got them at caprinesupply.com...the are plastic link collars...and yes i have found one that broke off on a peice of fence...found it hanging and my goat was no worse for the wear so i know they work like suppose to.....she must have been climbing on the fence and got herself caught...the chain broke where i found it and she got herself free....I also make sure the collars are a bit big...by 3 links so that they dont rub hair off .....get embedded into the skin and have enough room so that if they do need to break in case of hanging up on something they arent pulling on the collar so tight it chokes them or breaks a neck....i can slip the collars off over the horns without having to unlink it....hope this helps dale anne

3. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

Yes it does help! Thanks. I hadn't thought about the break away ones. That's definately the one I'll use if I do it.