Homesteading Forum banner

Halloween Houseparty Hors d’œuvre

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  RedDirt Cowgirl 
#1 ·
Olive spiders, egg eyes, pretzel/cheese witch's brooms, carrot/almond sliver & dolma fingers...
What's your Spooky Snack?

#2 ·
Jello jigglers, cut into Halloween shapes with cookie cutters. Kids love them. Purple bats, orange pumpkins and so forth.

Use red glaze to "blood spatter" any sweet treats. (Powdered sugar glaze with red food coloring added)

Make a cheeseball mold, turn into a giant spider with licorice stick legs, stuffed olive eyes. Cheeseball is the body.

Freeze plastic spiders/bugs into ice cubes.

Fun!

G
#4 ·
I saw one the other day that was cute and kid appropriate. Sausage Spiders!

Slice a hotdog or sausage into bite-sized "coins", take two spaghetti noodles, and while uncooked and stiff, break each one in half - insert each noodle piece through the uncooked meat. Making eight legs.
Boil, serve, arranging legs across the Plate!

#5 ·
As an adult, I tend to go for the schnapps soaked gummy bears....
as a kid, Halloween dinner consisted of
smoked sausage in spaghetti sauce - like little smokies, but called witch fingers
Peeled grapes - eyeballs
spaghetti noodles - monster brains
for party snacks we had -
deviled eggs - the name says enough already lol
Jello Worms (jello molded in bendy straws stood up in a cup)
peeled oranges with celery stuck in it that looked like pumpkins
1/2 hot dogs with pieces of chips for fingernails, garnished with ketchup. slice across the center for a nice knuckle effect
and the center piece was a watermelon that was peeled with a potato peeler and carved down to the red fruit till it looked like a brain.

I have got to restart some of these traditions with my kids!

#9 ·
Martha Stewart's recipe for "Bat Wings". Simple and cheap, and both kids and adults love them. It's just chicken wings brushed with a sauce and broiled (make sure you use the second rack level, the top one you usually use for broiling burns them).

Recipe is on her web site. If it's not there I will post it.

#10 ·
! Martha's are tasty, she "found" it from a food stylist that did some fiddling with each wing and by that time they really did taste like bat wings! That's how I like them though, dried up and blackened. Shape them up with skewers with a final molasses glaze. A slow bake does them creepiest. Nice on the plate with troll's ears (fried spinach tortellini).

Meanwhile, I'm stocked up for Zombie Gummy Worms - having to bite my lips to keep from spilling the beans! Maybe I should do a test run - a 2+ pound bag of worms (dry weight) :buds:is surely more than enough for any party...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.